Refrigerant with "Sealer"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We had various manufacturers ac systems on the buses over the years. All were dual compressors so we could drop the evap pressures / temps to what we considered "normal".
Most of the buses didn't have the charging label so it was charge by pressures. We would get it close then rev up some while watching how low the low side got. As long as the low pressure switch didn't cut the compressor we left it there. All our systems had txv's so they didn't cycle during operation. If it has a txv there will be a receiver/drier in the line somewhere.
We had cases of airline anti freeze (alcohol) and used that as a flush. It technically contaminated the r134 but you would never know it from the performance.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for info. I think that airline antifreeze is just methyl alcohol.
These two I am talking about are also dual compressors separate form factory ford ac system.
I have another one with sliced system with two manex 4 or 5 vent double shafts squirrel cage fan hvac units for 8-10 ducts.

I'm sure this one with separate that I'm doing tomorrow has a TXV as all the other ones I've seen have had one. I think it might have a smaller filter drier but I will have to look.
I know it has no larger bottle( accumulator really I think) style like factory but maybe more like the smaller black drier in the smaller line near compressor on Town Cars and such.

I think you are never supposed to flush an accumulator since they have descant bag inside IIRC, and I'm not sure about a smaller one like under hood.
I think it would be best to keep liquid away form these as they absorb water/liquid etc. Probably just backblow it with air.

I assume the most logical place for any large debris to be would be in condenser as the compressor pumps to it first and then the condensed refrigerant hits TXV with screen maybe and blows off into evap.
I don't think I've ever had a TXV clogged or plugged in any of these or the spliced in manex units.
If I have the compressor off I might as well blow through or flush the condenser as it is only one more fitting to open and one more o-ring to worry about leaking.

Was looking at some bus parts and I saw they said use approved o-ring lubricant on install and NEVER use PAG or POE to lubricate o-rings. Ummm isn't whatever oil they are putting into system the oil everyone lubes the o-rings with???? I mean I don't really like PAG or POE either but I don't have any R500 refrig oil handy.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We've been PAG oil for years without any problem. When a manufacturer makes a statement to that effect I question them as to why. Usually get a BS answer back.

It does make sense if the mechanic has dirty fingers and sticks his/her fingers in the bottle, then all of it is contaminated.

WISIV

Reaction score
Fix the leak don't bandaid it. I replaced the compressor, condenser and dryer. Flushed the system with AC flush and put and inline moisture filter on my air compressor to run compressed air through the system to make sure the cleaner was dried out. Filled components with recommended weight and amount of oil and UV dye. Vacuumed system down and left it that way for 45 minutes to make sure there werent any leaks. Refilled with R134. Had lost all freon due to compressor leak. Works like it's suppose to except for a bad Schrader valve in the dryer that leaks a little over time. Imagine that a motor craft dryer with a bad Schrader valve???.