Remanufactured Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BillAlex

BillAlex

Reaction score
Finally, the biggest reason I went with Promar was because of this Forum. I couldn't believe the number of Phaser and timing chain break down I read about on this Forum. Promar rebuilt the engines using a OEM Ford Kit. If you buy one of these things from Amazon, the Phaser Timing Chain Kit cost about $850. Then you need a Melling oil pump. So they are using top grade parts and free delivery. The machine and equipment to do what they do cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. They put out a superior product at a reasonable price. So, I went with it.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Good thing you're an accountant, not a mechanic or engineer.

You see, hiring the monkey you disrespect and paying him the living wage which may be more than you earn could have saved you some $10K.

So like the "plummer" you hired who charged you $250 for 15 minutes work, you pay for his knowledge, not his sewer snake. Guess you can't do their job, or you wouldn't have to pay them.

Makes them worth their pay, doesn't it?

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good thing you're an accountant, not a mechanic or engineer.

You see, hiring the monkey you disrespect and paying him the living wage which may be more than you earn could have saved you some $10K.

So like the "plummer" you hired who charged you $250 for 15 minutes work, you pay for his knowledge, not his sewer snake. Guess you can't do their job, or you wouldn't have to pay them.

Makes them worth their pay, doesn't it?

Amen Trainmaster. Just because I have a degree and went to school doesn’t make me worth more than a high school dropout. Yes I said that and I meant it! These contractors and the like in the trades worked out in the field and amassed knowledge school can never teach you! These guys know what they are doing and you have to pay them for their acquired knowledge. I think those who worked in or with the trades as they went to school understand both sides much better, and that’s exactly what I’ve done. That plumber likely has extensive knowledge on his subject much like you, and much better than you in this regard. Just like how you are better in math. Would you go unclog toilets for less than $200? I wouldn’t, he has insurance, gas, payroll, to cover and if he isn’t charging you an hour labor his time is wasted and he’s not making money. In reality that all cost him an hour with drivetime and invoice time where he could be elsewhere marking up parts and labor on a bigger job. Would you be charging that plumber 15 minutes of time if the tables were reversed?

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everything is not measured by education. Many of the best businessman are high school dropouts or have little to no college. It’s an art like any that is learned. Many of those make much more than one with a masters degree, and they are worth every penny. And that’s obvious, because they made it.

donl

Reaction score
The OP still hasn't posted if all his research has paid off. Lot's of detail on the first three experiences but nothing on the fourth.

How many miles on the new motor and how does it run? How did the project turn out?

Last edited:
OP
OP
BillAlex

BillAlex

Reaction score
Engine in. Running great. Not totally finished yet as going through break in period and getting ready to drop break in oil. Spent a ton on extra's. all new hoses. Anything that had a bearing on it, I changed out. Tensioner, pulleys. New Radiator. New A/C compressor and new Alternator. All new sensors. VTC Control Solenoid valves, Ford Water Pump. Pulled the Transmission and put it on the bench. Trannie almost new. New Torque Converter. Changed the filter and pan seal and put back in. Drained and replace gear oil in third member. Spent almost Two Thousand Dollars on extra's over and above the $3,000 for the Reman Engine. Five Thousand Dollars total, but here is where some Savings really kicked in;

Ford requires it's dealers to keep just about every part on the shelf for about Ten years and now I have heard even shorter period than that. Some of the dealers dump these parts on ebay when space becomes a problem or they are no longer required to keep the parts in Inventory. Many do not have the original boxes but the parts are clearly marked FORD or Motorcraft. A brand new A/C compressor list for over $450. One on ebay went for $50. OEM NEW Motorcraft 8 Spark Plugs SP515/546 Ford 5.4L 3V - Updated Design PZH14F went for $5 each instead of $12 list. Motorcraft KH384 Heater Hose Assy list for over a hundred, but able to purchase it for $22. I went with OEM and made sure that all the parts I replaced had Motorcraft on it. Some I couldn't get a deal on. Paid almost $50 each or upper and lower Radiator hoses.

I posted what I did, not recommendingDSCN0855.JPG it one way or the other. Some will chose to do it themselves with a little help from YouTube. I would presume that you Do it yourselfers out there spent a week end giving up football games on TV or family get together to save a few dollars. Maybe some of you that do your own work on cars can not afford it. Others will purchase an engine from a junk yard. Some have been really lucky with this. I haven't, so I decided to go with a reman engine. Doesn't make it right or wrong, just a different way of doing it. I thought some out there might pick up one or two things I did and save a few dollars.

This is the old engine. Notice the Timing Chain guide is gone on the right bank. When I pulled the Oil pan, it was full of plastic parts. The Oil uptake tube was clogged. Pulled Piston Rod connector and full of small metal shavings. Time to replace.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FYI: On junkyard engines you always pull/buy a running engine that is still in the car. Listen to it start and run.
If it is already out you at minimum pull the oil pan, check the crank and rod bearings and do a compression test on all cylinders. Even after that I may be inclined to do a rebuild if the readings are close to Max.

Bill, did you also change the input seal on the trans while out?

OP
OP
BillAlex

BillAlex

Reaction score
The photos were taken a couple of days ago while we were flushing out the cooling system even though there is new radiator and hoses, we flushed over night. It cranked the first turn of the key. In regards to my craigslist mechanic, I gave him a bonus. My mechanic quoted $2,200 and my craigslist Mobile Mechanic quoted $700. I gave him a thousand. So I will stand by my post. This isn't rocket science. So to all of you guys out there that think you get what you pay for, I would suggest you continue to go to your Dealership mechanic and pay them $3,000 for an install. For those of you out there that are looking to save a few dollars, shop around. You might find someone you will use for the next twenty years. I did.

I also interviewed about 13 applicants and I am the one who ran the ad in Craigslist looking for a part time mechanic that worked week ends on the side. I picked the one that was a mobile mechanic and said he would appreciate the job. I paid him what he was asking which was $35 per hour and he did such a good job I paid him an additional $300. It took him two days, one to get the engine out and put some of the parts on the new engine and one day to get it in and running. He quoted 19.8 hrs Chilton Labor Guides. It actually took him a total of 16. So if you divide the actual time he worked, he made $62.50 an hour including bonus.

Either my mobile mechanic made it look easy, or this is just not that big of a deal. I want you guys out there to consider doing it yourself if at all possible. There are some excellent video's out there on Your Tube and you can always ask for help on this forum.

I think the discussion on labor is just as important as New engine, Reman Engine and Used Junk yard engine. After all, it's all about saving money. If you really want to save money, do it yourself. When my son turned 16 years old I bought him a Tahoe but with a blown engine. We went down and bought a wrecked one and I taught him how to change out the engine. I didn't want to teach him to be a mechanic, I wanted to teach him how to change a Radiator hose in case he had to do something along the road side. If he had pulled an engine and changed it out, he certainly would not be afraid of a Radiator hose or even a Freeze plug. Next few post I will go into great detail in the selection process of Used engine Vs. Reman Engine.