remote start install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

akacolonel

Reaction score
i recently installed a fortin one remote start in my 2014 expy. being almost 60 yoa, i did install over a few day, its a little hard for me to get under dash. i chose the fortin so i could use my factory key fob. other than a couple wire colors in instuctions being different, and location of SJB.. or BCM being wrong, install was not that bad. i ohmed wires after all connections were made. after i flashed module for my vehicle, and adjusted a few settings, truck starts with 3 presses of lock button. in chicago it can get a little cold, so I'm glad i have option to remote start. any questions feel free to ask.. happy holidays

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
i recently installed a fortin one remote start in my 2014 expy. being almost 60 yoa, i did install over a few day, its a little hard for me to get under dash. i chose the fortin so i could use my factory key fob. other than a couple wire colors in instuctions being different, and location of SJB.. or BCM being wrong, install was not that bad. i ohmed wires after all connections were made. after i flashed module for my vehicle, and adjusted a few settings, truck starts with 3 presses of lock button. in chicago it can get a little cold, so I'm glad i have option to remote start. any questions feel free to ask.. happy holidays
The fortin stuff works great but I recommend not using the crimp on taps they provide. Its pretty common for those to have connection issues down the road. If you have time or have an issue, solder those connections.

OP
OP
akacolonel

akacolonel

Reaction score
i used posi tap connectors. had to lenghten 20 pin harness to reach passenger kick panel. those were soldered before install. radio, heater (for now), and fan come on. instructions say heated seats can be enabled, but i havent got that far yet..

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
i used posi tap connectors. had to lenghten 20 pin harness to reach passenger kick panel. those were soldered before install. radio, heater (for now), and fan come on. instructions say heated seats can be enabled, but i havent got that far yet..
I'm very interested in details about the heated seats. I spoke with 4 shops and all said the heated seats are on the canbus network and can't be controlled because no one offered it. They do on the newer models though

Thom

Reaction score
akacolonel - I am about to add the EVO One module to my 2014 Expedition. Can you tell me what wires they had labeled wrong? Also, did you hook up the factory hood switch wire? I have the hood pin switch schematic and it shows it going to the remote start connector which is not used since there was no remote start system installed previously.
Thanks for any help.

OP
OP
akacolonel

akacolonel

Reaction score
Hey Tomas, give me a few to dig out box with instructions. Get back to you shortly..scott

OP
OP
akacolonel

akacolonel

Reaction score
Wire 17 on bcm connector is supposed to be blue/green. On my truck is is white/brown. Also bcm is located behind passenger side kick panel. I attached a couple pics I made for myself to simplify. I hooked hood pin to pink/black wire on 20 pin connector. Didnt have it adjusted right at first, and headlights flashed 5 times. Was code for hood pin switch error.. hope this helps..

15670358735192629046621312548056.jpg

15670359251255146384420414956877.jpg

Thom

Reaction score
Yes thanks for the pics. I am using the EVO One also. I just started my install a few days ago. Taking my time and soldering the connections. Writing down everything I do in case I need to troubleshoot. So far I found the same misinformation on wire colors you did. I bought the full 2014 Expedition/Navigator wiring schematics manual for $11 on eBay before I started and I am glad I did. So far I am able to get to all the necessary wires on the drivers side, not going over to the passenger side SJM. Either behind the kick panel or the door harness, or the OBD connector which was easy. I haven't done any of the ignition connections yet. Some of the pictures I downloaded from Fortin for my vehicle were helpful but I cross checked everything with the schematics and tested the voltage at the wires I was working on with a voltmeter.

I found the the wiring harness/connector for Ford's remote start system under the dash and according to the schematics over half of the wires we need are connected to it. Unfortunately the connector is too high under the dash to access easily and I could not find any info on the mating connector. I too wanted to install my own remote start so I could use the key fob instead of using Ford's.

Last edited:

Thom

Reaction score
And did you hook up the heated seats? If so what pins on the module did you use?