Removing/Hiding Scratches on Alloy rims...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kermit

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So some moron in my Expy's life took steel wool to the rims to clean off god knows what and it has left fine scratches all over them (obviously, right...) They are the stock alloy rims and not the high gloss chrome rims. I tried a decent chrome polish yesterday to "hide" them but it didn't really help... The one I did with WD40 came out better than the one I chrome polished... anyone have any advice on a product to conceal, or better yet REMOVE these minor scratches on my rims?

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
More likely than not, those scratches are in the clear coat that is over the aluminum.

If polishing them out isn't working, then you could always strip off the clear coat and polish the bare aluminum. The only problem with this is that you will need to polish regularly them to keep them looking good. You could also strip off the clear coat, clean it really well, and apply a new coat of clear. It's a more permanent answer, but more work.

Unfortunately, all of these solutions are labor intensive, but each will look good in the end.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You are going to have to wet sand the clear coat, and possibly respray the clear if the scratches are too deep.

OP
OP
Kermit

Kermit

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's kinda what I was figuring, that any attempt was gonna be labor intensive, that doesn't scare me as much as wasted effort without the results I'm looking for. Can y'all recommend a good polish to try?

OP
OP
Kermit

Kermit

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Plastidip? Is that like enamel coating?