Removing Roof Rack 2001

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am considering a repaint on my 2001 Expy, I plan to remove some of the exterior pieces to minimize masking required. I would like to remove the entire roof rack because there is surface rust up there and would like to make sure it is all repaired. I will repaint the rack myself and put it back after the shop paints the vehicle.

How difficult is the removal? How many fasteners?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

AZShawn

Reaction score
It was very simple, in my experience on my '99. The front crossbar has a fastener on each side that you're able to unscrew with your hands, then you can lift it straight up and out, pulling towards the rear of the vehicle. The rear crossbar I ended up leaving attached to the rails, unscrewed the 5 or 6 torx bolts from each rail, then I was able to carefully lift the rear crossbar off the truck with the 2 rails still attached to it all as 1 piece.

OP
OP
JamaicaJoe

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am concerned the Torx fasteners might be rusted in place.

I want the whole thing off for paint prep and to get the surfaces underneath sanded and primed. The repaint won't be worth the trouble if the roof rusts through.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

AZShawn

Reaction score
Try soaking them in PB Blaster for a while before removing them. Fortunately, all the torx bolts on mine came right out no problem, but I am in AZ so rust isn't really an issue here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze