Repeated Waterpump Fails and frequent no Heat on 16'

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigbadbull

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So over the past 6 months I have had to have 3 water pumps replaced , as well as the HVAC system serviced due to no coolant or a line popping off after the water pump being replaced. In 13 months we have had the vehicle serviced for the same thing 5 times, all under warranty. All by the same Ford service department.

We bought the truck with 12k on it and it now has like 32500 on it. Any suggestions on what could be causing the over pressurization of the system?

Any suggestions on what the next course of action to take is? I don not want to have to call Ford Customer service , as it would look badly on the dealer service department, and they have been super helpful with our other Fords. I have requested the Service Department Manager have a look at the case and its issues.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So over the past 6 months I have had to have 3 water pumps replaced , as well as the HVAC system serviced due to no coolant or a line popping off after the water pump being replaced. In 13 months we have had the vehicle serviced for the same thing 5 times, all under warranty. All by the same Ford service department.

We bought the truck with 12k on it and it now has like 32500 on it. Any suggestions on what could be causing the over pressurization of the system?

Any suggestions on what the next course of action to take is? I don not want to have to call Ford Customer service , as it would look badly on the dealer service department, and they have been super helpful with our other Fords. I have requested the Service Department Manager have a look at the case and its issues.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
As long as you are under warranty, you don't touch it. Let FOMOCO take the hit in the wallet. You should write a nice letter to a Ford Customer Service rep that details the issue, and at the same time applauds the dealer, to let them know the vehicle has an issue that isn't being resolved and you're eventually going to be out of warranty and what are they going to do about it, blah blah blah.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would have blown a blood vessel on the second replacement. Your motor isn't venting somehow. As nice as their are, they can't diagnose. You need to get ahold of Ford now. They might just replace the vehicle if they can't fix it. I've never heard of water pumps blowing out, especially Ford ones. Apparently theirs no overheat issues or you'd know it, this is a new one, and I've thought I heard them all. Anyone else here had a problem like this.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just reread your tag line, didn't pay attention first time. You very likely have one of the two heater cores plugged, if your getting no heat. That or a heater valve that's sticking. Surprised your not overheating, or running excessively cold on your engine.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Yeah, there's some blockage there somewhere. Several places to look, but that's the dealer's problem. He should backflush the block and heater core and do some diagnosing. Ford engineering should help him with this after they get tired of paying for water pumps.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
agree a heater core could be plugged....what failed the first pump? sounds like something is acting like a plug.
get on horn to ford corporate as well as politely pressing the dealer to stop the REPLACE and go, with SEARCH out the reason, then replace parts...

good luck

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just for laughs and giggles, what's the name and location of that "Dealer"? Our other members probably would like to know. I know I'd drive somewhere else for repair.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's a shame that a plugged heater core could cause a problem other than no heat in cab.
I have bypassed a good number when they started leaking and never had any other issues.
Not familial with a 16 water pump but the original modular ones are probably the best water pump I have ever seen.

OP
OP
B

Bigbadbull

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I heard from the dealer yesterday, no clue on the cause as the system is pressure testing ok. Said the tech said it started roughly so now they are looking to see if the coolant is leaking other more "vital areas". I just had the oil changed last week so my fingers are crossed that its not that. There is no obvious puddling of antifreeze in the engine bay or the under engine air deflector as well.

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
3 of the same failures, with in a year qualifies as a lemon.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk