Repeated Waterpump Fails and frequent no Heat on 16'

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Evidently I've not spent much time under the hood of my Expedion. Which I'm OK with.

This week I've learned there is an electric pump that circulates water to the rear HVAC. Was news to me.

Several months ago I did replace what I thought was the heater hose on the passenger side- A line with a tee in it to feed water to the heater core at the firewall. So I struggle to understand - if a heater core is blocked, how and why would the water pump care? The water pump is still circulating fluid around the block and radiator.

Highways don't shut down when one exit ramp is closed is my pea-brain analogy.

Whats the PSI on your overflow box cap?
What year expedition? I'm guessing 03-06 or is it a gen3?
I ask because ive been told the second gen had a valve to turn off flow to the heater core for the front but have heard nothing about the rear having a pump.

I've found no pump or valve in my 07 EL and have covered every inch of that car in the last few years.

OP
OP
B

Bigbadbull

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So with the older failures the pumps have been leaking them selves or not pumping up to spec. Also the coolant lines keep popping off the back of the HVAC ( 2 times?)

General symptoms are no Heat (but AC works), Front cooling fans for the radiator/ Inter cooler/transmission cooler running full tilt (think above 85 deg in summer with ac running) when its 40 deg or lower out side, using a ton of anti freeze with no obvious puddling or pooling underweight or on the air management tray.
Some times you can hear a liquid sloshing from behind the HVAC center stack when taking turns.

The engine temperatures have not gotten high or its not over heated. Usually stay around 1/3 to 1/2 on the temp gauge. Transmission temperatures have usually been around 195-205deg F
The Rear heat works fine.

I am waiting to hear back from the dealer currently, but since its been since like wed-thursday last week I am not very hopeful.

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would change the radiator cap and see what happens. Worse case is head gaskets are blown and you are blowing turbo boost into the coolant. A cylinder leakdown test or a exhaust gas in the antifreeze test would rule this out or confirm.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"using a ton of anti freeze with no obvious puddling or pooling"

It's all right there.....blown HG allowing coolant to burn off......if he's using antifreeze and he doesn't see it under the truck, there's only one other place it can go!

On the 5.4, a bottle of Pour & Go will get you back in business. I used it twice on my '03 and still had heat even though it plugged the HG leak!

The OP might want to pull his oil dipstick for a looksie too!

jeff

scythefwd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Very new to the expy game, like looking to probably purchase my expy on Saturday.. What is HG?

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is no obvious puddling of antifreeze in the engine bay or the under engine air deflector as well.

If your truck is still blowing white smoke after the truck has warmed up then coolant is leaking into the combustion chamber and turning to steam. A cylinder leakdown test will identify which headgasket is blown (left or right).

At full boost you are over pressurizing the entire coolant system. Something has to give and it looks like the water pump is the weakest link. Also, you are replacing the coolant in the heater core with air so that could be why you are not getting any heat.

If the dealer is going to change the head gaskets under warranty, buy the ARP head studs. The dealer will install them for you at very little to no cost and then you wont have to worry about head gaskets again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bigbadbull

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"using a ton of anti freeze with no obvious puddling or pooling"

It's all right there.....blown HG allowing coolant to burn off......if he's using antifreeze and he doesn't see it under the truck, there's only one other place it can go!

On the 5.4, a bottle of Pour & Go will get you back in business. I used it twice on my '03 and still had heat even though it plugged the HG leak!

The OP might want to pull his oil dipstick for a looksie too!

jeff

Oil was changed 2-3weeks ago , did not see any anti freeze in with the oil.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any dealer worth his name on the sign out front would have checked for a blown gasket. But then again, maybe they just want to keep getting paid by Ford. After the second pump, Ford corporate should have jumped in, and said hey guy's, what gives. At least I would have. Our op needs to get ahold of someone higher up the food chain, and let them know what's going on. With that low of mileage, why the overheat? 32,500 miles, something whacky is going on there.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

Bigbadbull

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Small update but notable.
The dealer found antifreeze coming out the oil fill cap on 2/6/19 and a small amount anti freeze in the oil pan.
The dealer is thinking piston rings are damaged at this point.
Ford instructed them to pull the motor and find the cause.

Ford gave us a 2019 F150 KR Screw loaner while this ordeal plays out. No eta was given due to Ford corporate not deciding yet to fix the motor or replace it depending on the investigation of the damage.