Replace 4R75E in an 04 with 2000 4R100?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I picked up an 04 Eddie Bauer 4wd, 5.4 pretty cheap. I prefer the older ones with the 4R100 tranny, but this was a good deal and a nice vehicle. It has the W trans code so I guess it has the 4R75E tranny. The previous owner has already replaced a bunch of things on it including the transmission (it only has 120,*** mikes on it-sure makes me less that excited about the transmission). I have it in the shop now getting rear axle seals and a rear pinion seal replaced. The mechanic said the transfer case is seeping and rusty enough he doesn't dare open it up. So he thinks it will eventually need replacing (I pick my battles with older vehicles as they can run for many years on something that is leaking as long as I keep track of it-if I fix everything that is wrong I may as well buy something much newer and more expensive). I do have a wrecked 2000 4wd, 5.4 Eddie Bauer sitting in my back yard. It has a good 4R100 transmission (I know this because I am the I've who wrecked it)! I was wondering...is it be possible (without being a major PIA) to swap the whole transmission out and put it on the 04? That would give me the nice vehicle AND a good tough transmission!! Or how about just the transfer case? I'm guessing that probably wouldn't work, but really have no idea.

Mr67Stang

Reaction score
You would also have to change the drive shafts as they are different lengths due to the size (length) difference between the two transmissions. Honestly, you would have to probably do a lot of side by side comparisons to ensure your '04 can accept the 4R100... there may be a reason they quit putting them in the newer ones such as physical placement. I don't know. Also, you will want to look at your '04 and confirm it uses Turbine speed sensor and Output speed sensors like your 2000 does. If it does not, the 1998-1999 4R100's do not have those sensors. Sounds like an interesting project.

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well-it sounds a like it could be very complicated!! I was just thinking it may be an option-it was worth a thought! I have been thinking I need to get the wrecked 2000 out of my yard but keep hesitating because of the good tranny and motor. No one seems to want it.

Mr67Stang

Reaction score
Well, a month ago, I would have bought the engine and tranny, if you were closer but I got my parts I needed. The thing is they are pretty durable drive trains and there is not much demand yet for used ones. I paid $300 for a 118k mile Transmission.

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Definitely not much demand! I just can't bring myself to send such a great motor and tranny to the scrap yard!!

Luke Wilhoit

Reaction score
I apologize for bringing up an older thread but this might be the exact one I need to post on. I have a 06 expedition as well (not an 04 but close enough) and I just went through a gruesome process on finding out my transmission needs to be replaced or needs a complete rebuild. My problem is I am not technically as mechanical per say. My shop quoted 3700 for a rebuild (its a 4r75e) but that seems awfully expensive for a rebuild. I read this article https://transmissioninfo.wixsite.com...sioninfo/4r75e on rebuilt versus remanufactured 4r75e and I never knew there was a difference? Can someone tell me if that info is accurate?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze