Replace Transmission Shift Bezel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scott2015

Reaction score
So a thin piece of plastic that surrounds the console shift lever and moves indicating what gear you are in, cracked into a bunch of pieces and I have an opening down into the console with exposed lights and an indicator stuck in 1. I ordered the replacement part for $35 and was quoted $250 to install it. Oddly, it's not a replacement of the plastic piece that broke, but rather the entire shifting mechanism down in the console including indicator and lamps (less the lever). Has anyone ever opened the console to replace this and how complicated of a job is this? Or should I just suck it up and pay the dealer?
Thanks!
Scott
'15 Expedition EL XLT 4x4

20180525_142628.jpg

20180529_195148.jpg

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Scott, I've had the console apart, and it's an easy job. Just find directions on the 'net or in a manual because the fasteners are hidden and the disassembly of all the plastic will stump you without guidance. There's a dozen screws and bolts. I didn't remove the shifter, but after taking apart the console it's all right there. Certainly worth a try.

If the leather wrapped sides of the shifter lever have to come off, they are held on by spring plastic prongs that snap into the lever. Be gently prying them free without breaking the prongs. If you have to replace them, they're about $40 on ebay or at Tasca Ford. - Eddie

OP
OP
Scott2015

Scott2015

Reaction score
20180531_214007.jpg Thanks Eddie. I found a thread under the 3rd generation directory that detailed the same problem and a related YT video for an F150 that was helpful. Basically, it was (1) remove the bezel around the shifter, (2) unscrew one screw underneath a pad in the tray at the front of the console and remove the top part of the console including cupholders (the armrest lid is not removed) and unplug the cupholder lamps, (3) remove the shifter lever sides, (4) unplug 2 wiring connectors for the shifter (tow/haul button and up/downshift rocker), unscrew two screws (don't drop/lose them), and then remove the shifter, and (5) unplug the shift indicator piece (shift indicator lamps) and remove the entire shift indicator piece. Install the replacement part and reverse the process. Oddly, step one took the longest as I couldn't get the 4th prong to pry loose from the console and I didn't want to break it; applied some WD-40 and it freed up. Took about 90 mins and just saved $250.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Glad it worked out for you Scott. That console is an adventure, isn't it? That's certainly an easy way to save $250. You didn't even get dirty. Any you know that if they did it, they would have just broken off that last prong...

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did the shift lever come out as part of this process? I've thought aniut finding the chrome trimmed shifter from a platinum or limited and swapping it with my bland black plastic shifter. I'd do the steering wheel at the same time, I love the wood insert at the top of the wheel like my platinum F150 had.

Tracy Melton

Reaction score
Where did you find the part? I can see it in a parts breakdown but can’t find it online anywhere.

65F875F2-8546-4D12-8B31-D59A9245188D.jpeg

Mikalai

Reaction score
Scott could you provide number of this item?

20180529_195148-jpg.25370