Replaced pads and rotors, brake pedal sinking to floor now?!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UniqueTII

Reaction score
I just installed a Powerstop Z36 on my 2015 XL and I cannot get the brake pedal to stop sinking to the floor. I didn't crack the system at all, just retracted the pistons with channel locks (bleeders closed) and replaced everything as normal. As soon as I went to test the truck out, the pedal was mushy and would creep toward the floor. I bled about 2 gallons of fluid through it, including while cycling the ABS pump with a Snap-On scanner. Nothing has helped at all.

I assumed it was the master cylinder, so I removed that to look for leaks and found nothing. After that I reinstalled it and bled it, then capped off the ports to test it. The pedal stayed firm even with the truck running, so I don't think that's the issue. They're on back-order everywhere, but I did find a used one on eBay that was already on the way.

The next step was to disassemble everything to make sure the caliper pistons moved freely, the sliders were okay (I cleaned up the rears a bit), and to open the bleeders while retracting the pistons this time. No help. After that, I pinched the lines with vice grips and narrowed the issue down to the front. With both front lines clamped, the pedal firms up pretty well. If I remove either of the vice grips, it sinks again (even if pumped a couple of times). We did another bleed on the fronts tonight using a standard 2 person method and that didn't help.

I didn't see any flex in the brake lines, but I have a new set on the way anyway. What the heck else can I do?

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just installed a Powerstop Z36 on my 2015 XL and I cannot get the brake pedal to stop sinking to the floor. I didn't crack the system at all, just retracted the pistons with channel locks (bleeders closed) and replaced everything as normal. As soon as I went to test the truck out, the pedal was mushy and would creep toward the floor. I bled about 2 gallons of fluid through it, including while cycling the ABS pump with a Snap-On scanner. Nothing has helped at all.

I assumed it was the master cylinder, so I removed that to look for leaks and found nothing. After that I reinstalled it and bled it, then capped off the ports to test it. The pedal stayed firm even with the truck running, so I don't think that's the issue. They're on back-order everywhere, but I did find a used one on eBay that was already on the way.

The next step was to disassemble everything to make sure the caliper pistons moved freely, the sliders were okay (I cleaned up the rears a bit), and to open the bleeders while retracting the pistons this time. No help. After that, I pinched the lines with vice grips and narrowed the issue down to the front. With both front lines clamped, the pedal firms up pretty well. If I remove either of the vice grips, it sinks again (even if pumped a couple of times). We did another bleed on the fronts tonight using a standard 2 person method and that didn't help.

I didn't see any flex in the brake lines, but I have a new set on the way anyway. What the heck else can I do?
The lines seem to be a weak point on these trucks, get back to us after you install those ones you have coming.........

Plati

Reaction score
That happened a few years ago on my 2003. Pedal would just creep all the way to the floor. I just drove it slowly around the block once. All good. Don't understand it but brakes are fine.

OP
OP
U

UniqueTII

Reaction score
We did take it out for a drive after the first part of the process and nothing improved, unfortunately.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pedal should firm up after several presses. If it doesn't, check for sufficient fluid in the reservoir and leaks in the brake line bleeder screws.

OP
OP
U

UniqueTII

Reaction score
Pedal should firm up after several presses. If it doesn't, check for sufficient fluid in the reservoir and leaks in the brake line bleeder screws.
Reservoir is full and haven't found any leaks, but thanks for the feedback!

Bobmc

Reaction score
Had and old ford pickup same thing master cyl was bad leaking internally. by passing. it was common years ago with single system.

I had to replace my 2010 EB master cylinder a few months ago for this reason. Brakes worked normally with light pressure, but pedal went to the floor if I pressed more than moderately hard.