Replacement Tail Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CecilTheMagician

Reaction score
Ended up with a cracked tail light yesterday, backed into a buddy leaving his place. Fortunately it didn't damage his car, but cracked my passenger tail light.

Looking like factory replacements are $700 or so, does anyone have a better alternative? I am not at all opposed to a different look and just replacing both if it's cheaper. I did it on my Yukon and was pleased with them but I can't find anything comparable for the Expedition.

These are what I put on the Yukon.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No aftermarket support for the expedition tail lights so far. Your best bet is try to buy the OEM online to save some money. The used ones on eBay are sometimes more expensive than a new one! This is absurd.

I recently had to swap my XLT passenger tail light and it is currently on back order with no estimated availability time. I eventually found a new openbox one on eBay that was reasonably priced.

Two things to note:
- The mounting hardware on these is super flimsy. When you try to remove the headlight assembly, it will probably come out with the plastic retainers that are supposed to secure it to the body. These retainers will probably not be very tight upon reinstall since the retaining ears break when pushed out. I suggest buying new ones before the swap. I can Post the part numbers if needed.
- Before removing the two nuts that secure the headlight, use a wire brush on the exposed threads and clean them. The threads had some paint and removal was tricky.

Oklahoma Jim

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a crack in my passenger side taillight. The dealer quoted $1000 for the part. It doesn't show much, so I'm just going to live with it for a while.

OP
OP
CecilTheMagician

CecilTheMagician

Reaction score
Is the lens just cracked or is it missing a piece? Can you take a pic?
It’s got a hole. Light still works perfectly fine.

keny01998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s got a hole. Light still works perfectly fine.

You can buy a headlight repair kit that will seal it up. My front passenger headlight was cracked with rocks and I had to replace with a used one from Ebay. It was a hassle to remove the front bumper, grill just to get to the light. Anyway, the kit can repair small crack or small holes only. Looks like you need a new tail light from the picture I just saw.