Replacing entire audio system but have questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MaverickG6

Reaction score
I recently bought a 2010 XLT with the basic head unit, no screen, just a CD player. I want to replace the entire system but I'm not sure what to get as far as new speakers go. The front doors have the 6x8 components and rear are just the factory 6x8s. I already have a pioneer double din head unit that I took out of my 2002 Expedition and a 5 channel amp that I am planning on running all 4 speakers and a sub box. I want to have the best possible sound without breaking the bank. (Basically quality over quantity)

Since the front speakers are components, I was looking at getting 4 pioneer 4 ways (as they were in my old Expy and sounded pretty good) and keeping the stock tweeters. But I was thinking that if they are already components, do I need to bother with 4 way speakers? I don't really have too much experience with different brands but I wanted to see of anyone had recommendations on decent speakers.

Any help would be appreciated!

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What kind of budget are we talking? What power are we working w on the amp? Guessing about 75rms? A lot of 5 channel are in that range.

I run the JBL GX6828's in my 03 with alpine powerpack at 45rms. More than enough for them and sound great with most all types of music. Very clean, even at higher volumes loud enough to drown out all of the wind with windows down on the highway if you want. Reasonably priced as well.

We're looking for another expy or navigator and I'm planning a bit more for it. Likely Kicker QS components driven by an AudioControl D-5.1300 and a TBD sub. There's quite a bit you can do with these trucks to really wake them up. All depends on your goals.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MaverickG6

Reaction score
So i finally was able to get all the parts to show up (which was harder than you would think it should be). Pretty close to what you stated above, I ordered Kicker QS components for the front and Pioneer 4-ways for the rear. The amp I have is a Kenwood 5 channel with 45w (rms) to the speakers and 350w for the Amp. My head unit is an older pioneer double din from my old Expedition but still works well so no need to spend money on a new head unit. I'm installing it all this weekend and will give an update after I put everything in.