Replacing shock absorber for a more comfortable ride in 2018 Expedition XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hms18

Reaction score
Hello

I have a 2018 Expedition XLT, and I'm not too fond of the ride quality. I can feel every bit of turbulence or bumps on the road. When going over a speed bump, the suspensions are just too harsh. Since I bought the car, I have replaced the shock absorbers twice (in the folder dealer). The ride quality improved significantly the last time I replaced them, but not quite what I wanted. I have tried lowering tire pressure with no significant change in the ride quality.
I have no background information on third-party shock absorbers and how they would improve the ride, but I heard that there are models that can improve the ride quality for more comfort. I'm not a big fan of sporty rides; I want to minimize shocks from roads with poor asphalt. Any suggestions on what to do about the shock absorbers? Is there something else I should consider?
I highly appreciate your help.
Thanks.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You didn't say what size wheel you're running. If you're running something larger than 18", try downsizing to a smaller wheel.

OP
OP
H

hms18

Reaction score
I'll check out Monroe (any specific model?), but my tires are 18".

Expd830

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try a set of Bilstein shocks. They are the best on the market. I had them on another truck and getting ready to put them on my Expedition.

OP
OP
H

hms18

Reaction score
Try a set of Bilstein shocks. They are the best on the market. I had them on another truck and getting ready to put them on my Expedition.
Do you have a specific model in mind for Expedition?

Expd830

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 5125 series. Because I did a different style 4” lift the exact model # I need is 33-186559. But what ever length you need get get it in the 5125 series. These felt like a Cadillac on my other truck with rough county coil-overs in the front.

Expd830

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Correction 5100 series is what I had on my other truck, but 5125 series is good also. The silver ones. Also the Monroe load adjusting shocks for the rear are great too

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

hms18

Reaction score
Correction 5100 series is what I had on my other truck, but 5125 series is good also. The silver ones. Also the Monroe load adjusting shocks for the rear are great too
Great! I exactly want a Cadillac ride.
Do you also have the model number/name for Monroe?

Expd830

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well from what I looked up the Monroe Load adjusting struts don’t fit your truck. So maybe you might want to try some Bilsteins. Look up the Bilstein 5100 B8 for your truck and check out the reviews.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze