Repurposing Suspension Air Compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OverlandExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Been searching online and haven't found much about this topic so I figured I'd start a thread here. I've been doing a lot of research on how to turn my 04 EB into a decent overlanding vehicle, and the plan is eventually to have front and rear lockers. Air lockers are a thought, and even if I don't go that route having access to compressed air can come in handy in plenty of other ways. Since I am replacing my air suspension with coilovers, I was hoping to repurpose the suspension compressor into a general air compressor. I have a few spare tanks I could use, but haven't found anyone who has tried this before.

Was wondering if anyone here has ever heard or seen anyone do it. Any links or info would be greatly appreciated!

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Would probably be a slow fill/recovery, depending on size of tank. Put a gauge somewhere at the dash and demand switch on the tank(s) since original switch just powers compressor when level switches (either front or rear) kick on compressor.
Very do-able but I would use larger/faster compressor

OP
OP
OverlandExpy

OverlandExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the shop repair manual for my expy, and it looks like the compressor has a 150 psi pressure release valve, so I think compressor would be more than powerful enough. The switch would need some custom wiring or else it would be running constantly. I found a pin-out for the compressor system and could wire in a switch that could turn it on and off on demand. A pressure gauge would definitely be part of the system if I end up going through with it. I am concerned about the connectors for the air lines, however. I am not sure if they are a standard/universal fitting or a custom fitting.

I'll try to keep everyone updated on my progress but I was hoping someone had done some aftermarket work on their air suspension system.

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can install an adjustable pressure switch to control demand/regulated pressure in tank. Same thing regular air compressors use. Use the same wiring but splice switch at ground wire for pressure switch.
Your front and rear sensor switches may use this wire now.

OP
OP
OverlandExpy

OverlandExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Starting to work on this project now that I finished up my rock sliders. I'll update my other thread with pics of that process soon.

I drained and removed my windshield wiper fluid reservoir, although I dropped one of the bolts that secured it between the compressor and the wheel well and can't get it out lol. First going to try to jump my compressor directly from my battery. If that works I have plenty of wiring and an aircraft switch that I can wire up the compressor to, so I can turn it on and off with the flip of a switch in the cab.

I pulled out all of the push to connect air lines from the rest of the truck, and I'll repurpose it to route it to a tank I'm buying. They sell air tanks for use with air horns and whatnot, and I can get a 3 gallon one that goes up to 300 psi with 2 ports for $50. There's only one air line coming out of the compressor, so I'll route that to a push to connect to 1/4 npt fitting into the tank, and then I'll route a regular 1/4 line out of the other port in the tank, and I'm planning on routing a pressure gauge back into the cab some where. Maybe put a pressure relief valve somewhere in the system, but the shop manual says the compressor has a pressure relief valve built into it, so that may be redundant. Ill also route a line to a quick release fitting that I'll install in the bumper. That way I'll have a port I can use to air up the tires with quick and easy access from the outside of the truck.

Was wondering if anyone sees an issue running the compressor right off the battery. The switch I'm using is rated to 15amps so if anything goes wrong that'll function as a fuse lol.

I'll post some pics later this week, not too much to see until I buy the tank and the fittings though. But everything hinges on being able to jump the compressor off the battery.

OP
OP
OverlandExpy

OverlandExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Quick question for anyone who has jumped the compressor before.. there are four wires coming off the compressor, I know two are the hot/gnd wires for the compressor itself, but was wondering what the other two wires are? Looks like it is maybe the vent solenoid assembly, but I thought there was a mechanical pressure relief valve in the compressor assembly.. Is the vent actuated by the solenoid? I guess it is not a huge deal if it is, I could just put a 200psi pressure relief valve on the tank or something.

Thanks in advance!

2009-04-08_015447_86224246.gif

OP
OP
OverlandExpy

OverlandExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I plan on putting at least a 3 gallon tank in the truck, if not bigger. That way I can run the compressor intermittently when I'm on the trail heading back to the road and fill up the tank to 150 psi or so, and be able to fill up the tires pretty quickly from the tank and not have to worry about waiting forever for the compressor itself to directly fill the tires

OP
OP
OverlandExpy

OverlandExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Alrighty, first step done! Way easier than expected too. Just took out wiper fluid reservoir, disconnected the main plug to the compressor that had the + & - wires, and wired it up straight to the battery for a quick test run. I've already removed most of the push-to-connect air lines from around the frame, and my model compressor only has one line going out from the compressor instead of two, which I've been seeing around on OEM replacements and other model year expys. Makes it easier on me to put in the new system though! Air came out of the line right when I fired it up. As you guys have suggested, the flow is not great though. I think I'm going to stick it out though, worse case scenario I install the whole system, and the compressor isn't quite cutting it. In that case I'd just remove the compressor, buy a better one, and figure out how to mount it into the same place while using the existing wiring/air lines. Anyone see any glaring issues with this plan?

Things I'm planning on buying for this project are a 3-5 gal 300 psi tank, a mechanical pressure relief valve to build into the system, and a wire with a built in fuse that will run to the switch I already have. I've got a lot of pneumatic lines around my shop I can use, and I also plan on repurposing the air lines for the suspension that I pulled off the frame. As always I'll keep posting with any updates!

20210831-130041.jpg

20210831-130052.jpg

OP
OP
OverlandExpy

OverlandExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Small update, bought a 5 gallon tank. Dimensions are appx 21x12x10. Any ideas of where to mount it?? Was thinking of where the spare used to be, but that spot seems susceptible to being dropped on a rock when I'm offroad. Unfortunately both of the arm rest/wheel well areas beside the third row seating are all full of stuff. A/C I think on the passenger side, and a bunch of electrical crap on the driver side. Also have an aircraft switch with one of those red covers, can't wait to have that and a pressure gauge in the cab.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01