Required to leave vehicle at dealer to hold spot in line for service?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mwar99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All these comments about having to leave the car to keep a place in line just tells me the dealerships in question need to step up their scheduling and management game. There is no reason someone should have to leave a vehicle that long for it to even get looked at. If it's a resource issue and you don't have enough tech's then you just don't schedule appointments for those days and push people out. You would think they would also leave certain tech's designated for emergency work and if there isn't emergency work then they work on longer term repairs/assist with current repairs. I don't understand in this day with all the resources available why any shop, let alone a dealer's shop, would work this way.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't understand in this day with all the resources available why any shop, let alone a dealer's shop, would work this way.
because they can and it’s cheaper and easier FOR THEM, our needs as customers come secondary.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Ford dealership where I go does the same thing. Very annoying but I got used to it (all warranty work). If under warranty work, ask for a free rental if they want you to leave your Expy there while it's waiting to be looked at. Make sure ask early for the rental so your name is on the rental list as they appear to be in short supply as well (that's what my service advisor recommends).
Or, if they have no rental and you have no way to go home. Just walk to the sales dept, ask to test drive the newest Expedition on the lot. drive yourself home and then return it when your vehicles work is completed. They never tell you how long you can test drive it so shouldn't be an issue.

OP
OP
F
Reaction score
I called Ford Customer Service and the rep stated that this is not standard practice but that dealerships can decide on how to manage service appointments. The rep did agree with me that I shouldn't have to drop off my vehicle. I have called some dealerships nearby and four told me the same thing as my original dealer. I have finally found one that said they can fit me in this week and let me know same day what the issue is.

It's sad that some dealers are citing "market conditions" to get away with this practice. I told them all that market conditions are dynamic and one day you will be looking for customers both in sales and service. Glad to have an appointment now.

jnbhobe

Reaction score
My dealer gets me in in a couple of days and gives me a car to drive always have for 40 yrs

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Definitely not normal to require drop off days ahead of possible analysis. Dealers don’t want the liability of having your vehicle on their lot any longer than a few hours on each side of the shop time. A dealer that wants vehicles on their lot for days at a time should be looked at with high suspicion. They may be pulling parts off your vehicle while it “waits” for its “turn” in the shop. Super super suspect dealer request on many levels

Mark Buckner

Reaction score
In the St. Louis area it is completely dependent on the dealer. The dealer where I have bought most of my vehicles, including a recent purchase of a 2022 Bronco Sport for my wife has this ridiculous policy. I told them when I took delivery of the BS that they would not be seeing me for service. Ever.

We don't have "extra cars" laying around to drive while one of ours serves as a placeholder on their lot. The salesman said he understood, but claimed it was due to vehicle owners scheduling appointments and then not showing up. I said, simple fix, charge a $50 (or whatever) nonrefundable deposit, and I bet people will show up. Fortunately there are other dealers within easy driving distance that DO take appointments. So they made the sale but will see ZERO service $$ from us. They even did that to me on a Ford recall on my Expy. I took it to a different dealer who gave me an appointment for 7:00AM the next day.

The only reason I bought the BS from them was they happened to have a model that was exactly what we wanted, and those are still hard to find - and her 18 year old Escape had finally bit the dust, so we needed a car. Also, unlike many dealers they were selling Broncos and Sports at MSRP, without the "ADP." That was a total dealbreaker for me, as I consider that akin to usury.

mamores24

Reaction score
I am having some sticking issues with my driver side power running board motor. I’ve washed it, power washed it, applied all the lubricants and oils mentioned in this forum and YouTube videos. They work for a week then the board sticks again.

I called the dealer and asked if I could hold a spot and they said no, I had to drop off my expy to get in line. I said this is my family vehicle that drives perfectly fine and I will not be dropping it off for a non mechanical issue and to call me when I could stop by. I even offered to put in a deposit for “lost time” if I couldn’t get my car at the dealer at the agreed date and time. No luck.

I asked why and they mentioned well most other customers are willing to do it so I would have to as well per the market. while I’ll never be buying a vehicle from them because of that comment, they are convenient to have oil changes and small warranty work due to proximity to my house.

Is this standard practice?

When I was trying to get the battery JB recall resolved I heard this as well from one dealership. Also thought this was absurd. Called around and found that others didnt operate like this so, if possible, I encourage you to call around. Fingers crossed and best of luck.

OP
OP
F
Reaction score
I had my service visit this morning at the dealer who took appointments. Everything went well, they even had a mini work center with cubicles. While it’s a bit of a drive (30 min), I’ll likely be going back there for all service and maintenance from now on. Plus it’ll be the first place we visit when replacing my wife’s truck.

Thank you everyone for your input. Without it, I would be paying for a rental out of pocket for at least a week.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Definitely not normal to require drop off days ahead of possible analysis. Dealers don’t want the liability of having your vehicle on their lot any longer than a few hours on each side of the shop time. A dealer that wants vehicles on their lot for days at a time should be looked at with high suspicion. They may be pulling parts off your vehicle while it “waits” for its “turn” in the shop. Super super suspect dealer request on many levels
Bro, this just made me get my tin foil hat out lol I’ve had so many issues with my Poopy’gator that if this were found out to be true I wouldn’t be surprised.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze