Resolved: Code P0174 (System too Lean Bank 2)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jayarebee

Reaction score
Got my '99 back around March or April and had no codes for about a good month or two... Then had a P0136 (O2 CIRCUIT BANK 1 SENSOR 2) come up Once. I cleared and did not see that code ::crosses fingers:: and still have not seen it pop back up.

I recently started to get the Code P0174 (System too Lean Bank 2), I cleared it once or twice but it would immediately pop back on.. so I got annoyed and purchased 2 new Motorcraft O2 Sensors off eBay, and of course after banging out the first Sensor (front Left) we realized the plastic cap didn't have the proper guides (plastic on cap that helps guide/clip onto vehicle.

Luckily we ordered one from the local shop who ran it over but it was some Japanese brand, I wasn't going to argue it was after hours and I was lucky to have my thing on the lift. I already had a Chinese o2 Sensor for ''emergencies'' and we also replaced the Back Left one which may have been unnecessary, but at least it's done.

I've driven roughly 30-40 miles and I haven't seen the P0136 return, more importantly the P0174 which was popping up immediately after clearing, like literally just pulling onto the street not even 1/4 of a mile. The vehicle did feel sluggish while stopped at lights or stop signs, and had a little ''hiccup'' when turning after idling sometimes.

Crossing fingers these o2 sensors hold up... I hate not using Motorcraft parts but oh well.

What really frustrated me was that someone said on eBay selling O2 Sensors had their F150's o2 sensors listed as ''interchangeable'' and I know my Part # was DY1401 but they sent a DY1093. We tried putting the DY1093 in but the blue cap would not snap as the guides prevented it. When we ordered the foreign one from the shop it came fast, had a purple cap, and closely inspecting had NO plastic guides/tabs.. apologies do not know the specific name. I know sometimes the little plastic guide/tabs break off....

I am just super curious as to if the 1093's are same/similar to the 1401's.... Either way I'm sending it back and only ordering from known auto vendors and trying to stick to Motorcraft.. Last time I trust eBay. Obviously not worth saving the $20-25 bucks if it isn't even going to work.. but I'm still not 100% convinced it wouldn't work... the pins look similar, same snaps, just different or no plastic guide-tabs. I know they are there for a reason... probably so folks don't just jam any old part into what they are working on... still curious.

Just felt like documenting this ''repair'' in case anyone else gets the code.. I was afraid it was going to be more than just an O2 Sensor, my Expy is an old lady @ age 23 going on 24 years old but I love it and want to keep it as nice as possible!

OP
OP
J

jayarebee

Reaction score
Unfortunately after about a little over a week the P0134 Code has returned... I was really hoping it was one of the O2 Sensors on the Driver's Side but now I have to figure out another approach.

I do not get the code for P0131 (Bank 1/Passenger Side), only P0134 (Bank 2/Driver Side).

After some research it appears it could be the Mass Air Flow Sensor or possibly a vacuum leak which is very possible since this vehicle is 23 years old and sat for about a year or two after the last owner beat the crap out of it.. fortunately he went to a service center nearby whom I've known and trusted for decades.

I will check both the MAF Sensor as well as the PVC elbow that commonly disintegrates & wears over time that I've seen replaced. I purchased some Sea Foam Fuel Injector and added it in this morning... I don't see the harm and the vehicle is due for an oil change/new filter and I'll add some Lucas Oil Additive as well.

After changing the O2 Sensors the code did not pop on for 8 days, I drove the vehicle every day and 0 issues.. actually felt a little smoother come stops/starts. Seems to be nothing wrong with the O2's on the Passenger Side otherwise I would be seeing P0131 as well, but in this case only P0134.

I will continue to diagnose and see what happens... I really like this truck but I knew when I purchased it that it would need some fixing up come the Fall... thing drove 100% for what it is ALL Summer and it was a HOT/DRY summer. The weather has cooled down drastically the last 3-4 weeks when I started to get the code, I highly doubt the elements like weather are to blame but just odd timing. Only positive is I won't sweat myself to pieces while outside playing around with it...

If anyone has been down this road please let me know any and all advice is always greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
J

jayarebee

Reaction score
I installed a new PCV valve ($4 @ Autozone) Part #PCV1183DL.

Cleared the code and it's been roughly 2 weeks (again) and about 200 miles give or take without the P0174 code has no come back.

Crossing fingers this little valve that was easy enough to replace may have helped.. I've noticed the truck running a tad smoother, less hiccups, no stuttering, not that it was severely bad...

I'd still like to get a smoke test performed... Only things left I can think of would be cleaning/replacing the Mass Air Flow Sensor, EGR Valve, Valve Cover Gasket, replacing a vacuum line.

I'll just wait and see if it comes back, if so I'll keep tinkering.
Apologies in above posts I referenced Code P0134... I meant P0174.

After a lot of research I've seen P0174 & P0171/P0131... In my case I've only received P0174 (single lean code for bank 2).
So it seems/seemed isolated to the Driver's Side... Truck runs great but just making sure to keep it as nice as possible since it was a nice affordable purchase earlier this year and I really like the vehicle.

Last edited:

AZShawn

Reaction score
Hopefully that does the trick. Those lean codes can have so many different causes, I feel like vacuum lines/connectors are the culprit more often than not, sounds like you're on the right track. Good luck!

OP
OP
J

jayarebee

Reaction score
No Check Engine Light/Codes after about 300'sh miles give or take since the new tiny little PCV valve was replaced!

I forgot to mention I installed a new Air Filter (Premium $25 @ AZ) the same day. Figured may as well even though the old one wasn't too old or dirty looking.

Back around the same time I got the Lean Code we realized that the engine had sprung a small oil leak which sadly would be a HUGE job but one I have money saved for and if I can find the right mechanic/shop I may let them fix it.

I purchased the truck knowing the engine's timing chain had a rattle and it has not gotten any worse, if anything this truck feels better everyday I drive it. I've used Lucas Oil Additive each Oil Change + some Sea Foam Gas Additive once a month... and I could tell it really helped.

It just stinks because there is nothing wrong with this truck besides for the engine leaking some oil from the front.. I'm guessing the gaskets need replaced which means the engine 99.9% has to come entirely out, taken apart, etc... ugh not fun.

We really can't tell until we can get a Smoke Test or get it in a shop or on a lift, fortunately we still know someone who lets us work after hours once in awhile... but we can't jam him up with a big job like that.

We've watched the engine timing chain since we've gotten it and kept a close eye on it, also another job that we would have done if we decided to find a mechanic willing to work on it... I think this thing could last another 100K+ easily as long as I don't beat the thing up.. so I'll be keeping the Expy local and I'll take our Tahoe for the longer trips.

Sometimes oil leaks onto the upper radiator hose, you can just tell by looking at the first picture... sometimes a little gets on the serpentine belt. I have a new Serpentine Belt purchased and we are going to replace the old one soon.

Just frustrating, I love this truck and if the engine dies or cannot be fixed I would 100% consider buying a new/rebuilt Engine if possible before purchasing a new truck... even if it cost $1500-2000 I'd rather fix the Expedition then buy something else unless I got a super nice price or deal on something similar or newer.

Attachments

• IMG_20221031_145048794.jpg
    IMG_20221031_145048794.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20221031_145133660.jpg
    IMG_20221031_145133660.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
J

jayarebee

Reaction score
For whatever reason the previous owner (or his mechanic) cut the heat to the back... which didn't really bother me since I rarely have passengers.

Truck has been running great lately... But I will need to replace a spark plug as I got a Cylinder 1 misfire detected (p0301) a few weeks ago, cleared hasn't come back.

I didn't think I'd like this truck but have grown to really enjoy it... I honestly never drive anywhere more than 45min away since work is close. So much I'd love to do but just don't have access to the nice garage at work anymore.