Review of Magnaflow exhaust install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I previously had a dual in/ dual out Spintech muffler. I have a custom true dual exhaust on my 2004 Expedition with both pipes routed tightly under the center high clearance part of the rear diff. Unfortunately, the spintech POS muffler completely rotted out after 11 months. It was nice and decent sound for 3 months, then steadily louder, then the outlet pipes literally fell off where they had RUSTED at the factory welds on the case. Spintech told me that I should have bought the stainless- however the cheap steel pipes attached to the muffler stilll were in perfect shape.

SO that brings us to today. I bought two Magnaflow 6" round mufflers. I borrowed a sawzall, cut off what was left of the spintech, and basically popped in the Magnaflows. I was getting extremely frustrated with the spintech having a HORRIBLE drone while towing, and during light acceleration, and bad on the highway. So I was paranoid about these mufflers being loud or drony.

Well I spent 1 1/2 hours installing, got in and turned the key, and it was like a symphony of exhaust notes. It's such a nice, smooth, quiet but very deep sound. These Magnaflows are the ones that are packed with stainless steel sound material to absorb the noise. You can also see directly through them so I was afraid it would be loud like a glass pack.

When starting, it's an awesome sound like it's coming to life. Then at idle it's completely silent. During light acceleration you hear a very faint bass note coming from outside but not through the floorboards (like the spintech). During WOT the exhaust sounds beautiful. At WOT it's louder and louder with RPM, but never gets obnoxious at all. It's almost like a factory performance exhaust on the Corvette or any other vehicle made with nice exhaust. In my case, I have true dual pipes from the engine all the way to exiting the rear of the truck, so the exhaust is in stereo. There's 4 cylinders going through each muffler, which translates into a weird old school true dual exhaust sound like any old muscle car.

On highway on ramp you definitely hear it during acceleration, but as soon as you level out at 70 mph, the exhaust completely dissapears. All I heard was road noise. I turned off overdrive to simulate towing, and I can hear the engine itself revving, but barely the exhaust note.

Overall, as long as these mufflers last longer and don't get louder, I'm extremely happy. To me, it sounds like something the factory would use if the truck ever came with a performance dual exhaust.

JOE

Spooky

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice write up! I've been thinking about the Magnaflow Cat back to go with the other goodies I just purchased, but hearing about the true dual exhaust on your expy has intrigued me.....do you have some pics I can take to a custom exhaust place to have them do something similar? Have you had any heat or contact issues with the pipes being so close to the frame/undercarriage?

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
joezek sorry to hear about your experience with spintech. I've had mine on since 05 with no problems. But im glad that you found a muffler you like. Keep us posted on how the exhaust keeps up