RIP: 2019 expedition finally died today in the middle of the road - UPDATE blown engine @ 29k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
armoredsaint

armoredsaint

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd say its pretty safe bet the cam phaser work was fd up and caused this.

Just so you know, Ford will likely get you a "remanufactured" engine, not a NEW one. They did this with my wife Navigator. Sad but true.
I can believe that. Anything to save cost and kill owner loyality and reputation.

Reaction score
Very sorry to read this and it’s really crappy of Ford to not put you in an expy loaner after all you’ve been through.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got it new and first owner, oil changes every 5k on full syn from the dealer, but I guess I was unlucky when my engine was built.

But it does make me wonder when I got my cam phasers replaced could it have been possible the tech messed up the install?
Dealer work definitely causes a major % of big failures in all brands. 28 yrs of Toyota’s and Subarus my only issues were dealer done work which only pushed me to doing as much of my own as possible. I would also put a high probability on your oil changes being half done or in some cases not at all. Always check dealer work and do some research ahead of time and ideally mark parts that you know need to be replaced or moved to do a job. If they aren’t then start asking questions.

Vehicle maintenance and repair is the most scammed thing people deal with on a regular basis. With home HVAC service being a Tie.

Whatever they did was most definitely nothing close to factory assembly quality. In fact I bet you would still have it but be noisy had you just left it alone for the phaser issue.

OP
OP
armoredsaint

armoredsaint

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also I remember the transmission was starting to act up, like it wouldn't go into gear sometimes when putting it in R and then it would be quite abrupt, also one time D I hit the gas and nothing for 1/2 second and it kicked in hard, the rear wheels even chirped on dry pavement.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The service manager showed me this today, destroyed rockers etc., will need a new engine

View attachment 76158

These roller followers probably failed due to piston hitting the actuated valves. Most probably something wasn't torqued/installed right when the cam phasers were replaced. Sad to see this happening :(

Maxine the Max

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good lord. What's all over the road, coolant? I know that typically only the bad stuff gets posted in places like this, but I'm REALLY not seeing anything positive. Almost have to stop coming here, I think it's causing me to stress out more about being an Expy owner than I should. Sorry for your troubles, definitely interested in seeing what they find for you. Are you pretty much over it at this point?
100% I also have a 2019, Max. I can feel the anxiety creeping in just reading this. Mine was built in sept 2019. I had to take a break from here because it was all bad news. I LOVE my Max and it has been a fantastic vehicle in the 8 months we've had it. Stinks for this person, but I would like to believe there are lemons across all makes.

bobward757

Reaction score
Perhaps it’s time to invest a thousand into a good attorney with experience dealing with Ford. Not a local one but a firm who deals with manufacturers and faulty dealerships/shops more often than not……