Road/wind noise issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rv8striker

Reaction score
We recently traded our 2012 EL Expy for a 2021 Max. Love the economy of the V6 Vs. the 5.4 in our old Expy and it’s a very nice vehicle to drive but I hear road/wind noise when I drive it. At about 40 MPH it begins and increases with speed. The Max is primarily my wife’s car but when I drive it the road noise is obvious to me to the point of being irritating. I went to the dealership where a technician drove it and said it sounded “normal” to him. They did say that the tires (Hankook Dynapro ATM) have an aggressive tread and that is probably what I’m hearing but sounds more like wind noise to me. We’re planning a big road trip next spring and not thrilled about listening to that for two weeks. Anyone else have this issue?

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What is the tire pressure? Try varying it 5 pounds either way and see if the noise or the speed where it becomes noticeable changes

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tape the window and see if the noise stops.

Excellent idea. You can use wide, blue painter’s tape - so you won’t damage the paint.

You may find one or more door weatherstrips that are not fastened properly, or not sealing well.

DJ04

Reaction score
I have had what I think is wind noise in about 5 Ford vehicles; a '93 Lincoln MK VIII, 2 different Town Cars, one a '94 I think and the other somewhat later, a '93 Explorer, and now my '04 Eddie B with all the gadgets. I am wondering if Ford products are just prone to wind noise or if there is something else a person can do to quiet the car down; noise most noticeable at 65 mph and above. Car quiet until about 50.