Roller followers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denver102

Reaction score
Can anybody tell me where the most common location where roller followers go bad?
Any help will be greatly appreciated. This is on a 2006 Ford Expedition 5.4 3V.
Thank you Steve

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Under the valve covers .... but seriously, you have to pull the valve covers off and inspect them. There's no absolute common location. On the early 3V motors the passenger side rear of the cam is the last place to get oil pressure and seems to show problems earlier than the rest of the motor.

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Look for flat spots on the rollers themselves. Hamfisted was probably unsure of your mechanical understanding, not being a SA. He is VERY helpful & informative. Listen to him in his experience and wisdom.

Uberexpy

Reaction score
The rear intake roller follower on #2 failed on mine. It started ticking around 60-70k, and became a full blown knock around 99k. E6351A69-80C3-442B-A5AF-63165C1B00CF.jpeg

purevw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine was number 7 cylinder. It popped completely out. I was lucky in that it landed out of the way of the cam and other valves. The new rocker was $13 and the gasket was $58. Go figure. I purchased the specialized valve spring compressor for the 3-valve, but I don't consider tool costs as part of the repair. Tools are basically free if you consider the shop labor costs they save. Has your computer not thrown a code about a cylinder misfire? Mine did, so I already knew where to look.

Attachments

• 2020-10-04-Roller-Rocker.jpg
    2020-10-04-Roller-Rocker.jpg
    580.3 KB · Views: 10

David E

Reaction score
The rear intake roller follower on #2 failed on mine. It started ticking around 60-70k, and became a full blown knock around 99k. View attachment 70461
Hi there. Sorry to barge in on the post but having similar suspicions tick. I do have over 200k on my expy (05) and it is the 3v. Would really appreciate if you could watch my vid and let me know if the sound was familiar? Thanks a lot.

David E

Reaction score
Can anybody tell me where the most common location where roller followers go bad?
Any help will be greatly appreciated. This is on a 2006 Ford Expedition 5.4 3V.
Thank you Steve
I have the same exact issue.. (I think) Looking at just replacing the whole 24 of them and doing the Belt, Phasers and pump... Following Maculoko 4 video series guide.