Roof Rack Repair or Replace

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2015owner2015

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife managed to hit the roof rack in a parking garage on our 2015 Expedition causing damage.

Any suggestions on how to repair this? Is this a good opportunity to replace with something better aftermarket?

IMG_4791.jpg

emtmark

Reaction score
Does gobi or front runner make anything for us?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cyclone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just added the crossbars to my 2015 Expedition. That damaged part look like its just a simple cap missing. I popped that off when adding the new crossbars and popped it back in. Your old one is likely still on the floor of the parking garage. You may be able to just pop it in place. If not, you can get a used one and snap it in or glue it if the parts that secure it are damaged.

After that, aftermarket racks can look good or you can just get the ford replacement parts.

OP
OP
2015owner2015

2015owner2015

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was able to reattach the end caps, thought they were broken, but seems ok.

So now I only need to replace the cross bars. Are there any after market that are better then stock that attach to the factory base? Suppose I want to attach a bike rack or carry kayaks. Do these attachments attach do the factory rack, or are they typically mods that are retrofitted?

I've also been thinking about an over landing/camping style rack, but I think this would require replacing the entire unit??

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was able to reattach the end caps, thought they were broken, but seems ok.

So now I only need to replace the cross bars. Are there any after market that are better then stock that attach to the factory base? Suppose I want to attach a bike rack or carry kayaks. Do these attachments attach do the factory rack, or are they typically mods that are retrofitted?

I've also been thinking about an over landing/camping style rack, but I think this would require replacing the entire unit??
Aftermarket crossbars attached to the factory rack won't increase load capacity but can give you more real estate for mounting stuff simply because you can install wider bars. The factory bars will handle kayaks or bikes just fine, but there isn't enough width to mount them all at the same time.

As for an "overlanding" rack, you're going to replace all the factory stuff if you're going to do it right. Those setups weigh hundreds of pounds and need more than a few screws holding them to the roof. A simple basket will mount to the factory crossbars just fine, but an actual overlanding setup is its own thing.

Though you're welcome to take that route if just for the enjoyment of the spectators :)

okhmlxeb9y2mj961tyqc.gif

OP
OP
2015owner2015

2015owner2015

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1100? K9 rack, right? Last time I checked it was like almost double that to cover the EL
Hello. This is an old thread. You recently sent the link to purchase the same type of roof rack. I can't find it, could you resend it?

Do these need to be shipped from overseas? How much extra did you need to pay for shipping?

TIA

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni