Rotary Drive Mode Switch....the no sense knob IMO

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tuscany, Oct 12, 2019 at 3:54 PM.

1. tuscany

tuscany New Member

Less then a month old and already the wife (who is a very good driver) has run into the wall in the garage twice.
    The person whomever thought of putting it there would have their arse beat really good!!! I too have turned that thinking I was going for Park or Reverse. But I double check with the feel of the Tranny knob compared tot he Drive Mode Switch, then you have to watch the dash to see what position the Drive Mode switch is in. Also I have been other cars with round rotary switches for tranny locations....even then I thought they were senseless....but just my opinion. I should put duct tape over it. ;)

2. Trainmaster

Trainmaster Old School Member

Why the police departments' SSV package comes with the column shift lever.

3. flying68

flying68 New Member

That frees up the center for police equipment, has nothing to do with ease of use. That's why they had column and not floor shifter in previous gens (same with Explorer police vehicles).

4. Trainmaster

Trainmaster Old School Member

Guess that's why the NYC Police Department bids, for example specify

"...Mechanically linked transmission gear selection lever...".

And NYS Troopers bids:

"...column or floor mounted cable or direct link shift selector with mechanical neutral lock-out..."

They want nothing to do with dials or buttons and they built this into their bids. Too many cars through storefront windows.

The dial is Soccer-Mom stuff. Problem is that they are the ones who need the lever.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019 at 11:14 PM
  5. JExpedition07

JExpedition07 Ultimate Member Supporting Member

I still think for anything important it should have a mechanical linkage. Throttle cable included instead of this drive by wire crap. How many accidents have dials and slow drive by wire delays caused? Likely a lot.