Rotary Drive Mode Switch....the no sense knob IMO

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tuscany

Reaction score
Less then a month old and already the wife (who is a very good driver) has run into the wall in the garage twice.
The person whomever thought of putting it there would have their arse beat really good!!! I too have turned that thinking I was going for Park or Reverse. But I double check with the feel of the Tranny knob compared tot he Drive Mode Switch, then you have to watch the dash to see what position the Drive Mode switch is in. Also I have been other cars with round rotary switches for tranny locations....even then I thought they were senseless....but just my opinion. I should put duct tape over it. ;)

flying68

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why the police departments' SSV package comes with the column shift lever.
That frees up the center for police equipment, has nothing to do with ease of use. That's why they had column and not floor shifter in previous gens (same with Explorer police vehicles).

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Guess that's why the NYC Police Department bids, for example specify

"...Mechanically linked transmission gear selection lever...".

And NYS Troopers bids:

"...column or floor mounted cable or direct link shift selector with mechanical neutral lock-out..."

They want nothing to do with dials or buttons and they built this into their bids. Too many cars through storefront windows.

The dial is Soccer-Mom stuff. Problem is that they are the ones who need the lever.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still think for anything important it should have a mechanical linkage. Throttle cable included instead of this drive by wire crap. How many accidents have dials and slow drive by wire delays caused? Likely a lot.

stricnine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How dare they put in a knob! Do they actually expect us to ensure we are in the correct gear before hitting the gas peddle?!?!? Same with blind spot assist, do they actually expect me to confirm there is nobody in my blind spot by turning my head and checking before switching lanes?!?!?! Let’s not forget the back up camera! I’m just going to back up using the camera without looking! Hahahahahaha

Seriously though, I love it! Had it in my RAM Rebel and loved it in the truck as well. Simple and out of the way. With that said I also love a column shifter because that’s just how they used to be. I was not a fan of the shifter in the console of my F150 so getting back to the dial is nice.