Rough Idle / Poor Performance in Hot Weather?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
F

feelthemusic8

Reaction score
Yes, I changed all 8 spark plugs and all 8 COPs last year. I would definitely like to change both the VCTs. I'm just not sure how much more effort that driver's side one will be.

The oil has less than 1,000 miles on it. I changed it two weeks ago. It has been changed at least twice before since I began having the rough idle problem, including one time where I ran new for a couple days with Seafoam and then changed the oil and filter again.

I'll check the fuel rail tomorrow.

Thanks.

The eXpedition

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You would rather test it using Torque Pro App on your mobile phone with ECU reader. You can check the evaporator sensor. Anyhow, usually rough idling is a sensor problem, have your sensor tested in a good maintenance shop or test it the way I suggested to you.

OP
OP
F

feelthemusic8

Reaction score
Long story short: After more work on this problem and after inspection by two mechanics, my only remaining option to (hopefully) resolve this problem is an engine rebuild. The best I can guess at this point is clogged passages since nearly everything else has been eliminated.

SO MY QUESTION:

I bought a 2015 Expediiton and I am going to sell this 2007 4x4 Limited. Would I be better off having the engine rebuilt and then selling, or try to sell with the problem and just be up front about the issues its having?

Now that it's winter, the problem is almost nonexistent, so it won't seem like a big deal to a prospective buyer, but I'm not willing to sell it without the buyer being aware.

Do you this I would recoup the cost of the rebuild (quoted at $4,500) when I sell it vs selling without repair? I'm sure it will be easier to sell rebuilt, but I'm inquiring about the bottom line.

I was thinking that if I sold as is, maybe there is someone out there that thinks they can fix it for less and save a little money. On the other hand, mentioning a problem is going to run off a lot of potential buyers.

Other than this rough idle issue, the truck is in very good condition.

The eXpedition

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suggest you sell it as is. Because there is a possibility that the rebuild might not go the way you thought it would.

Sent from my D6633 using Tapatalk

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't be mislead by your oil pressure gauge reading as it does not read actual oil pressure. The oil pressure sensor is simply a switch that is either on (you have pressure) or off (you have no pressure)

James Abraham

Reaction score
I'm having the same exact problem with my 2005 F-150 5.4, my engine was rebuilt last year so I don't think that is the problem. Brand new Cats x 4. Outside temp 85 and up causes the engine to run rough. Today the temperature is over 90, Drove 30 minutes, before getting home, truck loses power when in drive. Neutral I can rev the engine no problem. Going uphill is just impossible. Get same message about the camshaft.

Did anyone figure out this problem over the years?