Rough Idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gwinnch

Reaction score
rough idle update for my '03

Update on my rough idle: After changing all the bad vacuum hoses i could find, it ran fine for a few weeks then started to occasionally rough idle at start up, which progressed to a bad coil code on one, then two cylinders. Went through 5 different ford coils that were all bad, then bought two from NAPA which solved the problem. Going strong for months, now-knock on wood!

Big Red Monster

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If its that elbow would I smell unvurned gas very strongly from the tailpipes and under hood?

ChrisUK

Reaction score
Another thanks to Lane24! I found this thread last week while searching for error codes.

Just incase someone hase the elbow crumble on them, and they don't have the new part yet - I used some hight temp water hose, and a 90 degree joiner/connector which worked well (I live in the UK, so it takes a few weeks to get a part, so after reading this thread, checked all my lines and a few needed replacing)

Big Red Monster

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@ metallica I think you can voltage test it, i just dont remember the correct volt reading that its supposed to have. have you had any luck on solving your problem?

CARO'S98EB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The easiest way to test it is to tap it with a hammer while it is acting up [idling slow] most of the time if it is bad the idle will pick right up. yes that is right you fix it with a hammer!!

ardjaye4

Reaction score
Sounds like a vacuum leak to me. Make sure to check the elbow on the vacuum hose going into the intake at the very back of the engine near the firewall under the IAC. Betcha got a hole in it. You can stick your finger right in there, and feel a suck.

Check this link for a better view. http://www.azda.com/ford/

hey good info, im getting the same code for my 2000 expedition 5.4L how do i fix the vaccum leak & will that part # also fit my truck?
thank

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
hey good info, im getting the same code for my 2000 expedition 5.4L how do i fix the vaccum leak & will that part # also fit my truck?
thank

Click on the link above my sig pic. There is an entire write up on how to do this, part #'s etc.

GregT

Reaction score
sort of rough idle

hello guys i'm new to the forum at least on posting cause iv been following what you guys have been posting and referring to the site for general info on what i';m trying to accomplish so far it's helped me a great deal. here is the problem i have a 2003 expedition xlt and it idles sort of smooth you can feel a little shake if you pay attention to it ... the rpm gauge doesn't move at all and it idles somewhere around 650 to 700 .. it accelerates good but that little shake is annoying and i realize that it's not gonna run like if it's off the assembly line but i'm still trying to resolve it.. here's what if done so far.. i changed the air filter to a specter one i changed the fuel filter.. i changed the spark plugs and the boots all this has made it get better but i'm thinking of taking out the throttle body apart has any body had this issue ... the truck has around 120000 miles on it has any one taken the throttle body apart and found excessive gunk/carbon in it especially in the egr ports? i apologize for the long story/thread.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cfarnAK