Rough idles and dies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sffdib

Reaction score
I have 1999 Expedition, 200k miles, in traffic and after about an hour drive, the vehicle rough idles and dies. No check engine light and no codes. After parking it for 1/2 hour, it fires back up no issue. This happened two times on long (75 miles) trips. We had to cut our trips short an came back home both times. No problem on the way back. We drive it short distance (less than 10 miles) every day trying to duplicate the problem no issues.

OP
OP
S

sffdib

Reaction score
I am the second owner and owned it since 2003. The fuel filter is about 6 months old. I don't remember changing the fuel pump.

OP
OP
S

sffdib

Reaction score
So, the vehicle stopped in the middle of the road and this time it would not start back again as it did before. Towed to a mechanic late afternoon. The next morning they tried to start it to move it out the way and it started fine. They moved it to the bay to check it. It would not start at the bay. They hit the gas tank (he said the pump), and it started. They changed the gas pump, and the gas filter. Next day my wife went to picked up, drove for about 5 miles and vehicle start shaking again like it was going to die but it did not die. She got scared and left it 15 miles away from home. She wants to me go drive it back. At this point I don't know if we still have a problem or not, but want to know if anyone has any ideas what else could be wrong with it.

ryder_pr

Reaction score
I own a 2003 and had the same issue. Turned out to be a component that is soldered to the circuit board in the fuse box.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I read the seven pages. It sounded like the guy changed everything but the engine.
Ok lets start from the beginning.
Do fuel pressure test like @Hamfisted suggested.
have your battery checked (At the auto parts store with a load tester) and check your battery cables. (see video below) Be sure to test the ground cable as well. A lot of times it is the battery ground cable (sometimes it corrodes under the wire insulation where you can't see)
After that post results and we can go from there.

OP
OP
S

sffdib

Reaction score
Since the first post,
We have a new fuel pump and new fuel filter
The battery is 2 months new. The battery cables are tight, clean, and we don't have any extra accessories.
No symptom of electric issue.
The original issues:
When the vehicle starts, it drives fine for a while, sometimes days, then without warring, it idles rough and dies. Minutes later, it starts back up and drives again for few days.

I did google search and read that this somewhat common with Expeditions and F150 and the cause maybe PVC hose, mass airflow sensor, idle control valve or all.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I did google search and read that this somewhat common with Expeditions and F150 and the cause maybe PVC hose, mass airflow sensor, idle control valve or all.
Did the check engine light come on at all?
because if it was those it should have thrown a code.