RU Kidding Me?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill Schell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I'm having the cam phasers and timing chains, etc. replaced on my 2018 next week; which is already making me wonder about keeping this rig long term.

The dealer service agent asks "do you want to include an oil change as part of the service?" I said absolutely - it would be nuts to tear into a motor for this level of repair and not change the oil and filter. She said they have to ask because "Ford does not include an oil service as part of this warranty repair".... WHAAAT???

Let's see, your less than stellar design, which very likely creates metallic debris from the start-up ticking noise, is reason for the repair and loss of oil but you don't include R&R of oil in the repair.

200.gif

Does this make any sense to any of you?

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Actually they do. More than likely you will get coolant contamination when doing the cam phasers. When they did mine, they did the service first (included and oil change) which was charged to me among other issues I had fixed then they performed the cam phaser issue and had to redo the oil change. The second one was N/C. My truck was with them for almost 4 days.

OP
OP
Bill Schell

Bill Schell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Actually they do. More than likely you will get coolant contamination when doing the cam phasers. When they did mine, they did the service first (included and oil change) which was charged to me among other issues I had fixed then they performed the cam phaser issue and had to redo the oil change. The second one was N/C. My truck was with them for almost 4 days.

Yes, they said 3-4 days. Most of the time is to assure sealants fully cure. So you're saying that Ford does cover oil change and/or coolant as part of the warranty repair? Other than confirming both phasers and chains are being replaced, I have no other details and the TSB (that I've found) does not list that level of detail.

Tys expedition

Reaction score
id just tell them you're not interested in the coolant or oil change at the time of service. I'm pretty sure they'd have to do it anyway as the tear down to replace those parts would probably necessitate it. cant imagine they're gonna leave the oil in it and try to tie the coolant hose up to retain the fluid and then top it off. what a hassle and a mess. id just tell them to service the damaged part and see what happens. lets face it, under warranty if you run into subsequent issues from their service its their problem not yours. i need to do mine and i haven't heard of a dealership not covering that portion of the work.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow you’ve had some serious issues & yes that they want to charge you for the fluids is the worst customer service I’ve ever heard of especially when you most likely dropped over $50k on this vehicle.

I bought a Ford backed extended warranty on my 17 but would be getting rid of it had I had your issues & dealing with terrible customer service.

Over 66,000 miles with zero issues thus far. Now I have a company provided vehicle so won’t be putting too many miles on it in the near future.

Big H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
id just tell them you're not interested in the coolant or oil change at the time of service. I'm pretty sure they'd have to do it anyway as the tear down to replace those parts would probably necessitate it. cant imagine they're gonna leave the oil in it and try to tie the coolant hose up to retain the fluid and then top it off. what a hassle and a mess. id just tell them to service the damaged part and see what happens. lets face it, under warranty if you run into subsequent issues from their service its their problem not yours. i need to do mine and i haven't heard of a dealership not covering that portion of the work.

Agree, seems oil change would be part of the service. I’d wait it out and see what happens; if they don’t do the oil change then raise all hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grey ghost

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd find another dealer.judge by past performance I wouldn't let any of the Ford dealers in my area touch my car I'd have it done someplace else at my expense the

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They could be calling your bluff trying to get a few more coins out of you...
My dealer tried to charge me $300 for lugnut locks that came with the truck anyway....

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, they said 3-4 days. Most of the time is to assure sealants fully cure. So you're saying that Ford does cover oil change and/or coolant as part of the warranty repair? Other than confirming both phasers and chains are being replaced, I have no other details and the TSB (that I've found) does not list that level of detail.

Yes, on my invoice I was charged only for the oil change that was part of the service, then when they did the Cam phasers they had to redo another oil change. I suppose if they were really on the ball, they would have saved me the first oil change charge and just did the cam phasers, the N/C oil change due to contamination and be done with it.