rubber flap under bumper keeps coming loose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As the title, that rubber flap under the front bumper keeps coming loose. It comes off the front side, the three plastic rivets. I've tried new rivets and it lasted for a couple days.

What do you all think I should try? Self threading bolts and fender washers?

It's a 2008.

Traveler

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't help you with the problem, but I'd love to see a pic of it. My Expy didn't even come with what you're describing. I've got the three tabs that apparently attach to it but nothing else.

Sent from my LML413DL using Tapatalk

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine was held in place pretty tightly with those plastic clips. I've since gotten rid of the bumper and have yet to deal with that flap.

Are the plastic push clips loose when you put them on? I'm wondering what's causing it to break free. Does it pull the clips out? Is it maybe torn from the rivets? If it's catching air, and pulling loose, perhaps try the flap on top of the bumper so that the flap is tucked up behind the bumper and out of the air stream so to speak. You could also try molly bolts... they spread out pretty wide.

OP
OP
S

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well this last time it came loose, two of the plastic push pins pulled out and the other one pulled through the flap.

Wonder how it's positioned from the factory? Tried looking on varsity ford parts and not sure if I found the right part.

My current plan is to use 3/8" self threading bolts and fender washers. I think the holes in the metal piece are 5/16" or close to it so it should be the right size for a 3/8" bolt to thread in. I may have to use pretty short bolts though, so they don't bottom out before tightening down in the flap.

Next question: can I remove the flap entirely?

bloodhound

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine must be long gone on my 2014. No sign that it was ever there in the first place.

OP
OP
S

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Called my Ford dealer and they don't even list the push pins separately, they want to sell me the whole flap. Naw.

The OCD side of me wants to be sure to use the factory clips, while the redneck side of me says to just jam some self tappers and fender washers on it and call it a day.

OP
OP
S

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update, found some push pins at AutoZone that were actually a little too big, but had a nice big head. Actually had to drive them in with a hammer, but I think they will stay put now. Drove 80mph into a 20 mph headwind yesterday and so far so good.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni