Rubbing sound only in the cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Axle Folly

Reaction score
Dang, then I'll have to try to record mine! Ours just started yesterday. Like you, only at low speed; increases when coasting, fades when accelerating. Going to 4A doesn't change it. The speed of the noise is clearly connected to tire/axle rotation (not engine). It's usually a grinding/rubbing noise, but sometimes takes on more of a rubber squeaking noise. I've looked and the tires are contacting any part of the vehicle. We had the winter studs put on in November, but had a flat repaired a couple weeks ago... twice (first time didn't take). The chatter of the studs makes it a little tough to clearly hear the sound. It seems worse when braking, but there's no vibration in the pedal or steering wheel.

Axle Folly

Reaction score
Found a video where a guy takes his apart and finds the IWE in pieces:
I suspect the grinding noise he heard is like the grinding noise I hear. Time for a new IWE!

Great BBQ

Reaction score
My 2016 el xlt does the same exactly the same thing, this is the 3rd. year now only when the weather starts to cool off, I just want to know what is is so I can fix it, Its crazy.