Running Boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quent

Reaction score
We have a 2012 Expedition. We are original owners, just yesterday the passenger side running boards failed. Ive tried the lubrication route but with no success. The motor runs but it sounds like a walrus wailing. Ive tried to turn the shaft to see if i could manually move but to no avail. Yesterday i the board could be ‘lifted’ up to close and it would move out easily. But now it doesnt move at all and i cannot manually close. Anyone have any ideas before i yank it off tge vehicle. Really dint want to pay 1200 for the motor.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We have a 2012 Expedition. We are original owners, just yesterday the passenger side running boards failed. Ive tried the lubrication route but with no success. The motor runs but it sounds like a walrus wailing. Ive tried to turn the shaft to see if i could manually move but to no avail. Yesterday i the board could be ‘lifted’ up to close and it would move out easily. But now it doesnt move at all and i cannot manually close. Anyone have any ideas before i yank it off tge vehicle. Really dint want to pay 1200 for the motor.

The Ford and Lincoln list price for the motor is significantly less than $1,200. How did you determine the motor costs $1,200?

Lee Winter

Reaction score
I went through this with an F-150 last week. I know you mentioned you tried lubricating with no success. Did you first spray on some liquid wrench? The way I fixed mine was:
1: cleaned all rotating points with a wire brush
2: applied liquid wrench and allowed to soak in for about 15 minutes
3: applied white lithium grease to all rotating points.
4: start the engine and exercise the running boards. Assist as necessary. After a couple cycles, they were as good as new

OP
OP
Q

Quent

Reaction score
Tried to lube and lube and lube....yall get the point. The board is frozen to about a half-inch to fully closed and will not go further. Im just going to take it to the ford dealer, maybe they can give me a tip or just close all the way and wait until trade in

MARTIN PSENICKA

Reaction score
I just bought one with the same issue, if i can't get them to work as Lee suggested, i'm going to remove them.

OP
OP
Q

Quent

Reaction score
Good luck. I tried the lubrication and had no luck. I believe it is an issue internally to the motor or gears (if thats what they are called). I have them unplugged for now and in up position.

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my 2008 had a similar issue on the drivers door side, the step came out but would only go part way back in, if I helped it it would close fully, I sprayed it with penetrating oil, but it didn't make any difference and eventually the step stopped working completely.. I bought a replacement motor unit form eBay ($60) and fitted it, that was 2 years ago and it's still working perfectly.. for $60 I would suggest replacing the motor unit..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze