Running Boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fizzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Again - pick up a ForScan kit - I am almost certain you can reprogram this behaviour yourself.

BIGRED03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fortunately, I have not had any problems with my more recent '18 or '21 Expy Plat running boards. There is a way to turn them off or to leave them extended like for a car wash. They will reset at each start which should not happen. No other optional setting resets in the cluster with each start. The rear hatch is another story with the now factory deleted foot activated rear hatch opening. Mine has opened w/o a command more than once inside the garage and outside in a grocery store parking lot. I have the scratches to prove it.

s76helipilot

Reaction score
I just want mine to stay out until I start driving! Every time, without having to change a setting each time.

nybandit

Reaction score
I had this problem with my 2016, so what I did was I put the running boards out, then pulled the fuse. If I remember right it was a 40amp under the hood that serviced nothing else. Worked like magic! (Unfortunately, a few years later, I put the fuse back in and everything was froze up)

chaffdb

Reaction score
As a bit of an update on the running board issue, we took our '22 that we have had since September and have about 11k miles on to the shop with a few minor issues (I will post more on the others later) and asked the running board setting to be looked into. The tech agreed with us and couldn't find a solution, so they contacted Ford. Ford's response is below.

I read it is as saying we are all just idiots and the extending setting is working as designed. In reality though, it's Ford's design that is idiotic to me. The extended timer, according to the below, only alters the time the running boards stay down when the vehicle is unlocked and before a door is opened. Apparently once a door is opened, the timer setting doesn't have an effect and isn't supposed to, and once the door is closed they are doing up no matter what. Just a poor design and really unfortunate. I was really hoping for an update that would make the extending timer work like I think we all thought it would. As it is, I try to leave a door cracked to keep them down while loading kids and stuff in the car. Overall we love the vehicle, but we have had a few small nagging issues that have taken some of the luster off, so to speak. I'm going to post this in a few running board threads since there are several on this issue.
Ford re running boards.jpg