Running Boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

F150 Pat

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As many others my drivers side running board is at a point of taking it in under warranty to the dealer. I have have tried soaking with several types of lubricants which is only a temp fix. I don't want them taking my $100 deductible, lubing them and sending me out the door. They have been lubed by the dealer already. Question is, can I replace the pins and bushings myself or at least take them out and clean and reinstall. I cant see how to remove the hinge pins. Anyone do this? Part #s?

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had my passenger one die a slow death as you are describing. I was under my factory warranty at time mine died and they replaced it without problem.

I will say they did try cleaning and lubing first but ultimately replaced it. I think you just need to stay on them and be adamant about it because it needs to be replaced.

RacerBX1

Reaction score
I don’t have power running boards on my Expedition, but did have them on my 2015 F150. Them not moving well is not covered under warranty, so if the dealership will do it under warranty take them up on it. I had mine serviced once and it cost around $200. Not sure if they replaced the pins or not. The hing pins are press fit. A kit for the F150’s was offered by Summit Racing I believe. I did not try it myself because I don’t have a press to re-install or put new ones in. I managed to keep mine going for a long time using a GM General Lubricant (ordered from Amazon). I tried other lubes without luck. Besides the GM stuff an ideal lubricant would be a graphite lube because that would not attract dirt and crud. You can get cable lube kits for bikes and motorcycles that have needles and are graphite lube. If you can make that work it would be the best choice other then replacing the pins and bushings.

OP
OP
F

F150 Pat

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Replacing motor and hinges today and my Left front wheel bearing tomorrow. I'm thinking it cant go that smooth. We'll see tomorrow!

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My driver side automatic running board stopped working a month ago (72,000 miles). It's been deploying slow during the previous months. Then it simply deployed half-way out.

Dealer replaced the motor under extended warranty. It works like new.

Now my passenger-side is going slow as well. I give it another few months before it bites the dust.

From what I hear, the replacement motor + labor are around $1k.

As the old saying goes, the more moving parts, the more to go wrong.

Air00Max

Reaction score
Speaking from past experience, the motor on one of the running boards was $1K w/ labor through Ford. I was able to find a motor on Ebay from someone, but it was difficult to find one for the EL. I had that motor replaced myself. I later added an extended warranty through Ford and the other running board went out; Ford replaced it under warranty with no issue.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mines is doing this now on the passenger side. Of course it does this when I'm not In The states to do anything about it and my wife took it across the country. Will see of warranty will replace and if the can do it at a ship where she's at, or if she will need to wait.

In the mean time, was there a way you were able to get them to work? The board seems to get stuck intermittently.

Last edited: