Rushing air sound under normal acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JerEazy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
‘17 EL with 3.5

Under normal acceleration I hear this rushing air sound in the cabin. Almost like a road noise kind of sound, but predictable with acceleration. And happens regardless of speed.

If I push the pedal down 1/2, 3/4 or floor it, no sound. Lightly press no sound. In neutral also no sound.

A few searches say MAYBE the wastegate is leaking letting air out. But, being I’ve never driven another EcoBoost I have no comparison. So, I figured I would toss it out and check with the experts!

Thanks!

Last edited:

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The "whoosh"? My 5.4 SSV did that

Idk, either dented exhaust (cause that's definitely dented on that truck) or Expy lacking sound insulation... Gator 5.4 doesn't do it, at least not audibly from cabin

OP
OP
J

JerEazy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don’t think a dented exhaust would be the issue in this case.

It’s tough to describe the sound. Like making an “O” with your mouth and exhaling hard hahaha

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh yeah remembered something now...

Replacing a heater hose with a near-negligible pinhole leak, new thermostat, and coolant backflush seemed to help a bunch I think?

OP
OP
J

JerEazy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an appointment at the stealership on Thursday. I just don’t want to make a thing about it with them if that’s normal for the 3.5tt

OP
OP
J

JerEazy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree. But it doesn’t make the sound (that I can hear) if I have the engine in neutral.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Crap seals?

Do you hear it going downhill without pressing the gas pedal?

OP
OP
J

JerEazy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure - not a ton of hills here in Southwest Florida! Haha

But there’s a steep overpass nearby I can give a run at tomorrow.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it’s making the woosh noise and then kind of slaps shut and stops making the noise it’s definitely something in your turbo/gasket/wastegate. Mine made this noise until all were replaced and it doesn’t now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro