Rusted coolant part connected to ECT sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hoopjr

Reaction score
any updates rustymyers?

I have the exact same problem. The little tube rusted through off of the adapter. It just spews coolant everywhere. No one seems to no what the part is. I think I found it through fordparts.com, but they do not list a picture . And before I spend $100 dollars on an unidentifiable part, I'd like to know your outcome.

If it is a discontinued part, does anyone know of an updated part? Every parts store i talk to says the ect just bolts directly into the manifold. I have no problem with this option, but there is a tube running to the heater core (I think) that I would have to deal with. How do the 99 and newer models differ?

Should this be the mystical part that I need, do I need to remove the upper part of the intake manifold and alternator just to install it? The only reason I was able to remove the old part was because the little tube off of the side was rusted, and I was able to bend it easily to get around the manifold. I'm considering taking the old tube and begging someone to weld a small tube in place of the rusted one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rustymyers

Reaction score
Hi All,

I never found out for sure what that part was. I've heard it's sold with the engine header, around $600. Can't confirm that, though.

My mechanic had a buddy who was able to sand off the rusted metal tube and tap it out. He screwed in a new tube part and it seems to be holding up.

Here are a few photos of the current setup, as well as the part that the Advance Auto Parts guys came up with to get me home when I was stranded after if first broke.
Fixed Part view 1:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rustymyers/14286924285/
Fixed Part view 2:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rustymyers/14283598951/
Temporary Fix Part:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rustymyers/14284918972/

Good luck, fellas. This part is a *****.

OP
OP
R

rustymyers

Reaction score
Should this be the mystical part that I need, do I need to remove the upper part of the intake manifold and alternator just to install it? The only reason I was able to remove the old part was because the little tube off of the side was rusted, and I was able to bend it easily to get around the manifold. I'm considering taking the old tube and begging someone to weld a small tube in place of the rusted one.

I had to take off the intake, but don't remember having to touch the alternator. You should be good with just the intake.

darrellPickles

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to the forums! Thanks in advance.

I'm trying to find a part for my 98 expedition that bolts into the engine and connects a coolant tube and holds the engine coolant temperature switch/sensor. The metal tube is about 3-4 inches.

I've attached a photo of it, you can see in the center where it was glued before. I guess it's been leaking in the past, but was't replaced. That's where a small metal tube protruded and connected to a tube that ran around the back of the engine. It's bolted into the engine block directly behind the alternator and under the engine air intake.

I've currently got a simple fitting that screws into the engine and connects the hose, bypassing the ECT sensor/switch. It seems to work, but probably isn't good to run with out the sensor.

I'm hoping to find a used or new replacement part that I can put in myself.

Thanks again,
Rusty
im looking for the same part, did you ever find out?