Ruster Rocker Product

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I didn't do much special to attach them. My 07 Expy has 215k on the clock so I just wanted to get it looking decent and not cut anyone. Once I had the metal, I used a cut off wheel and got rid of all the rot. Then painted the bare metal. If this were a job I was really concerned about, I would have butt welded the new rocker on. For this one I just simply did a lap joint. I did drill holes in the new rocker and spot welded them on. Finally I primed and painted them. Overall it was a very easy job. As you mentioned, the toughest part could be sourcing the metal shop. This would be something you could easily do even by mail if you can find a shop that will do it. The ones in the first post really aren't worth your time. You might as well be using duct tape and spray bombing them. They'll crush if you breath on them. I'd be surprised if they'd make a winter with salt on the road also.

SEPTIC PROFESSOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Complete joke and utter waste of time and money. People with brains buy a totally rust free Florida Expedition. Locate one on autotrader, cars.com or whatever and either fly down and drive it back or get
it shipped for around $700.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Complete joke and utter waste of time and money. People with brains buy a totally rust free Florida Expedition. Locate one on autotrader, cars.com or whatever and either fly down and drive it back or get
it shipped for around $700.
Florida's better than most places but not the best. I agree with you. I have pretty much decided to never buy another car in my own state or any of the Rust Belt states. I don't ship them. I just either drive with a friend and drive back or fly there and drive back.

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
People with brains buy a totally rust free Florida Expedition. Locate one on autotrader, cars.com or whatever and either fly down and drive it back or get it shipped for around $700.
Now that's funny. The state that has all the flooding and hurricanes etc. There are more salt water flood cars from Florida probably than any other state. I'll pass... Guess I didn't have any brains when I bought my used, rust free 40k mile Expedition in Michigan. The rockers turned to dust after around 200k miles of northern winters for me. Dang, wish I bought that Florida Expy...

catmandu

Reaction score
The aluminum "rain gutter" ones serve a purpose, quickly, and at a good price, given the lack of aftermarket panels right now. They got my 3rd Gen through our tough pre-sale state inspection with only a few hours work. I did not have time to fabricate and weld out of steel sheet like I did on the 2nd Gen I did for my Uncle. I priced the car fairly and disclosed the repair to the new buyer, they were happy. Took some pictures if anyone wants a full write up.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, better than nothing but far away from an actual rocker panel replacement or even an overlay that's corrugated and stronger and cut to fit perfectly.

Damon329

Reaction score
The aluminum "rain gutter" ones serve a purpose, quickly, and at a good price, given the lack of aftermarket panels right now. They got my 3rd Gen through our tough pre-sale state inspection with only a few hours work. I did not have time to fabricate and weld out of steel sheet like I did on the 2nd Gen I did for my Uncle. I priced the car fairly and disclosed the repair to the new buyer, they were happy. Took some pictures if anyone wants a full write up.
Can you send me some pics?