S&B cold air intake for 15-17 expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nevin

Reaction score
Hey all. This isn't necessarily a review, but i guess kind of. I decided to put it here, if a moderator sees fit to move it i would have no qualms with that.

Anyways, I'm VERY pleased with my 15 expy EL limited. It has been an amazing family car, gets really good mileage for its size, and it just looks really sharp.

That said ive just always been a tinkerer and I cant leave well enough alone, but I know that there is always more mileage or power or both on the table and i dont mind spending a little to get a little more. I was going to just build a cold air intake myself (ive made 3 or 4 i/c pipe/ cai setups on previous cars) so it wouldn't have been a stretch at all to do so but the more i thought about it I was like... "Ehh, im gonna waste all day welding and cutting and measuring still spend $150 on parts when i could just get the s&b shipped to my door for $300. So that's what i did.

Ordered it Wednesday afternoon and had it Friday by 1pm!

Hoping to get another mpg or 2 on the highway ans yes i know this by itself wont make more power. Ive already done the rear muffler delete and I'm going to switch the front 2.5 muffler to a 3" here this winter and then maybe after that make some 2.5" downpipes and then get a tune. But i figured its going to hurt nothing to add hard parts first and simply make the engine not have to work as hard to do the same results.

So anyway it came today and I installed it like a giddy school girl about ten minutes after i knew it was here. First impressions is that it definitely seems like a quality part. Ive always been impressed with S&B fitment and OEM quality "feel." The filter is a HORSE and its easy to see how this whole thing flows more than stock.

So here are a few pictures.

Enjoy!

P.s. I will report back on driving impressions and mileage changes if any.

S & B part number is 75-5130. $299 + shipping.

20200110_143613.jpg

20200110_143608.jpg

20200110_135716_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Nevin

Reaction score
After opening and closing the hood a few times I have noticed that the clear lid and the very top of the main intake tube just baaaarely come into contact with the hood liner. I suspect after a while there could be a tiny bit of chafing.

Other than that, no huge differences upon driving the first few miles. Maybe a bit more turbo whistle but not alot. I could open the cover, but then whats the point of a cold air intake?? Not saying this is a bad thing. I love turbo whistle but im not sure my wife would appreciate it the same way I do.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
After opening and closing the hood a few times I have noticed that the clear lid and the very top of the main intake tube just baaaarely come into contact with the hood liner. I suspect after a while there could be a tiny bit of chafing.

Other than that, no huge differences upon driving the first few miles. Maybe a bit more turbo whistle but not alot. I could open the cover, but then whats the point of a cold air intake?? Not saying this is a bad thing. I love turbo whistle but im not sure my wife would appreciate it the same way I do.

Looks like you should be able to adjust the clamps a little to move the pipe down and over to decrease that rubbing.

Looks good by the way!

I have the AFE intake from a 14 150 EB in my Garage. There is a way to install it by modifying the hole where the sensor goes. Some others have done it.

I need to have a good weather day when the Wife isn’t at work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
N

Nevin

Reaction score
I may try to play with the clamps a little but the box itself would need to go down just a scoosh to clear the lid. Or I could remove the hood liner? Meh. Whatever. Its almost time for supper.

RenegadeBad_Dog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been looking into getting one to hear the turbos more and of course for the reasons you listed. I used to be unsure about it because of warranty but now I'm probably going to be getting one in the future. First I'm getting on for my 2018 Malibu though.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
N

Nevin

Reaction score
Yeah my 15 is WAAAY out of warranty, lol 181k miles. So that was not a concern for me.

And i wouldnt say you hear the turbos any more. I would like to make a set of bigger turbo inlet pipes as well and i think that would definitely increase the flow and turbo sound.

This is definitely a nice product though. Fit and finish is too notch.

Last edited:

RenegadeBad_Dog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah my 15 is WAAAY out of warranty, lol 184k miles. So that was not a concern for me.

And i wouldnt say you hear the turbos any more. I would like to make a set of bigger turbo inlet pipes as well and i think that would definitely increase the flow and turbo sound.

This is definitely a nice product though. Fit and finish is too notch.
Good to know that it's still running strong after all those miles.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been looking into getting one to hear the turbos more and of course for the reasons you listed. I used to be unsure about it because of warranty but now I'm probably going to be getting one in the future. First I'm getting on for my 2018 Malibu though.

You could probably hack the Sync system to get it to inject a turbo sound into the stereo for ya.