Scooter and Liz

Discussion in 'Other Vehicles' started by Eagle 71, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Eagle 71

Eagle 71 Supporting Member Supporting Member

When I was going thru flight school at NAS Pensacola in 1982, I surmised that I needed a vehicle to match the ambiance of my ‘wings of gold’. So, since I was single, I purchased a split-window 1963 Corvette coupe from a local Chevrolet dealership. This beautiful, ‘Ermine White’ Corvette was sitting, exposed, on their used car lot, and it was a match made in Naval Aviation heaven. I unfortunately did not do my research at the time (my small brain between my legs overrode the gray matter between my ears), as the white beaut Corvette that I nicknamed ‘Scooter’ did not carry the original 327ci that she rolled off the factory with. Anyway, I was filled with the Navy ‘Blue and Gold’ testosterone, and Scooter was a definite pussy magnet.

View attachment 28075

Fast forward to 1992. I got married in 1985, and was stationed at NAS Moffett Field. My son was born in 1988, so I decided to trade in Scooter for a Honda Accord station wagon. I know, what were you thinking? Well, priorities took priority…spilled milk.

Fast forward to 2003. I recently retired from the military, and was working at Offutt AFB. I got a hair up my arse and decided to purchase a 1966 Ford Thunderbird (her callsign was ‘Liz’). Had to do a total rebuild of Liz, some after photos are attached.

View attachment 28076

View attachment 28077

View attachment 28078

I nicknamed this car “Liz”, short for Elizabeth Taylor. Because in order for her to have all the nice lines and right curves, it cost a lot of money. I parodied Admiral ‘Bull’ Halsey’s response (when he was asked by the Saturday Evening Post so many years ago), why a U.S. warship is referred to as “she”. He replied, “A ship is referred to as ‘she’, because it takes so much time, money and effort to make her look pretty”.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  2. SEPTIC PROFESSOR

SEPTIC PROFESSOR Full Access Members

wow, am I ever impressed !!

3. MrSticker

MrSticker Full Access Members

Cant open those pictures ....

My buddy has a 66 Tbird (might be a 65 not sure) that his Grandaddy bought new, father had, and now he has. I loaned him $15K a couple years ago to have it rebuilt. Never loan a friend money if you expect it back (....but thats another story). Nice car. I think he puts 50 miles a year on it. Changes the oil every year. I think it has a 6V battery, you need to buy a special lead additive for gas also I think. Might need special tires too.
    IMG_0216.JPG

4. 1955moose

1955moose Full Access Members

That's a first gen Thunderbird 55-57. My guess is that's a 57. 1956, 57, is a 12 volt battery, and electrical. Most all American car manufactures switched from 6 volt to 12 volt by 55, Ford was still using 6 volt in 1955. I guess even though long gone, Henry senior's ghost said like the model T, 6 volt is good enough. Fun cars the 55-57 Tbird. Strange though customer's never took to it like they did the Corvette. They wanted a bigger 4 seater, so in 58, that's what they got. The sales numbers went crazy. Makes you wonder, if they made the original platform more speed oriented like the Vette, would they have kept building the smaller ones like Chevy. Except for the Mustang, Ford just never gets into the 2 seater sports car game. Gt 40 is great, but a bit too pricey, and specialized. Hard to believe the Vette almost died in 54. Thank goodness for the small block 265 engine.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

5. Eagle 71

The photo that MrSticker posted is of a ’55 T-Bird. The ’55s had a ‘V-8’ ornament (as pictured) behind the fake diagonal chrome side fender grille, the ’56s replaced the V-8 ornament with a ‘Fairlane’ crest. The ‘57s had the ‘Thunderbird’ chrome script in front of the fake fender grille, with no ornament behind the grille. Additionally, the ’56s and ’57s had functional fender vent doors below all this chrome, which would dissipate the buildup of heat from the motor & transmission.

1955moose likes this.
  6. 1955moose

1955moose Full Access Members

Well you sure know your first birds! Mine was just a guess. The little windows on the hardtops were the only way I could tell them apart. Like trying to figure out bat wing 59/60 Chevy's. Except for the tail lights, tough. Thanks for the info. Now if I can just remember it!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

7. Eagle 71

Here they are again. One of the Corvette, three of the T-Bird. Sorry for the dupe...

63 vette1.jpg
    Showtime!.JPG
    View attachment 28144 DSC03789.JPG

Trunk, after.JPG

8. Eagle 71

Moose, I actually had to look up the info in some old T-Bird books! 8>)
    FYI, also found out that the wire wheels were aftermarket on the 55-57s...

9. MrSticker

MrSticker Full Access Members

Yes ... 55 ha! I was only 10 years off (or 11) but its not my car, although I did kind of own it for a couple years. Yes it has 6V battery and my buddy said "thats the problem with the 55's". It looks good on the outside but NO WHERE near as clean and mint as Eagle's inside areas. Nice restoration, a lot of work. Love restorations!

Eagle 71 likes this.
  10. Eagle 71

Yes sir…you are spot-on. Thank you for your understanding via your response.
    Unless you bled some blood, sweat and tears into a classic car resto, it is indeed hard to pass that ‘experience’ on to the next owner.