Seafoam Anyone ?

Do you use Seafoam ?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mc0311grunt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As someone who has ripped apart numerous engines of various types (from 4 banger hondas to twin turbo mountain motors) I dont recommend using any oil additives in your engine. It works for some people and is ****** for others. A lot of the sludge and junk doesn't make it out of the pan. Now what I have done is put in a quart of atf, run it to temp, turn it off, let the oil drain down to the pan, and change it. It works good at cleaning out passages but I only do this when it has been a beater the owner doesn't care about and they want to do stuff on the cheap. I have personally seen spun bearings because of seafoam. Again it is all a matter of opinion

Maverick1701

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have used it with good results.
I ran it into my manifold (through the brake booster line), let it set then smoked out the neighborhood...but it cleaned up my rough running motor (I6 Jeep cherokee ith 1/4 million miles).
Also when I got my jeep...the oil was pretty crappy. I added some seafoam into the oil for the last 10min before my oil change and I was able to drain the oil. Haven't had any issues outside of normal maint.

I haven't used it on my expedition.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
We've already beat the Sea Foam subject to death around here. Do a quick search and you'll see.

I've used it with great success, but only through the intake. I just couldn't bring myself to add it to the oil. Now, if I had a vehicle with sticky lifters or one that was all gunked up, I may add it to the crankcase. But until that day...

OP
OP
ArtGamer60

ArtGamer60

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I always use the search function ? didn't find much without having to back peddle numerous pages in between , blah , blah , blah ... sorry but thanks . I just thought the video explained it all on one thread as well as a poll , instead of a piece here and a piece there . Once again ? Sorry ...

Last edited:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its there...went on for months...mostly ppl were sending it through the vaccum lines...not adding to oil directly...

Whack

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had multiple run ins with Sea-foam, and all were good.

In the 3v 5.4l, it does help remove carbon when used in the fuel or inducted through a vacuum line. This can be a big help with the 3v Spark Plug issues. Same thing in my Subarus, that can be backed up by bore scope viewing of the piston tops.

In the oil it will clean deposits when used as directed. The only downside is that it will not last. I read some where a year or so ago that the lighter hydrocarbons in it will evaporate off quickly, in most cases less than 100 miles. It isn't a big deal as they pass through the PCV system and get burned.

My use consisted of running in oil as directed for the last 500 miles before an oil change. The goal was to clean more varnish and gunk just before a change.

On a 5000mi OCI (oil change interval) the oil did get darker in the last 500 miles with the Sea Foam. I would love to have the cash to have the oil analysed before the Sea Foam and then at oil change.

For reference the oil used was Mobil 1 0w-20 or 5w-20.

Jeff532003

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't recommend anything for oil additives but this stuff is very good for cleaning the top end. The garage will hook up a slow drip system, not often seafoam but another top engine cleaner and charge you a hundred bucks but it works just as well letting it run through your vacuum line. The key is slowly. This is why the garage used the drip set up. Pouring it through to fast can fry out oxygen sensors. Never seen it foul a plug though.
It's also great as a fuel addative. Most every one I know who rides a carbureted motorcycle runs it through once or twice a season. I can say first hand it definitely cuts down on the varnish accumulation in the bowls and jets.
Kind of a joke... But I always say its illegal in Europe do to stricter EPA standards so it must be good ;)

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Never tried it myself.

I would be a bit concerned though for the catalytic converters if you are running it through the intake too quickly but it seems others here have used it with success.

Jeff532003

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Never tried it myself.

I would be a bit concerned though for the catalytic converters if you are running it through the intake too quickly but it seems others here have used it with success.

I've honestly used it on more cars than I can remember and only once had that o2 sensor problem. I got a little over zealous pouring it in my old Hyundai... My instructor in trade school (1999) was a GM master tech and they swore by "GM top engine cleaner" which he claims was made by the seafoam people and they actually added it right through the brake booster vacuum. At the time it was almost impossible to find. Napa was one of the only places that carried it but its really caught on cause it honestly does work. You should see the cloud of burnt carbon that comes out of some vechicles.
When I worked for Honda we used wellfleet or well something I can't recall exactly what it was called but it's almost the same stuff we just used one of those drip devices. We got 79.99 for the job if the service advisor was able to sell it when we recommended it. Talk about gravy money.