Seafoam Anyone ?

Do you use Seafoam ?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I do it I let it suck up the entire can. How long did you let it idle?

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have another can...idle before about 10 mins...and after

Holy Rollerz Christian Car Club (HRC3)

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Considering how you keep your truck the engine might just be clean.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

reidar

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple of months ago on one lovely Sunday evening my Expe sounded like crap and ran even worse. I ran the torquePro app on my phone and it came back with a missfire on cylinder 4. The very next day, I picked up two bottles of seafoam. One for half a tank of gas and the other for oil and vacuum line. I never made it to the oil, because it had just had an oil change but it ended up sucking up half the bottle through the vacuum line.

I did this at night, so my neighbors wouldn't see the smoke pilling out of the back of my vehicle. After it sucked it up through the vacuum line (off of the brake booster) I took it to go get on the freeway. Sitting at the first light, I could see the smoke barreling out of the back of the Expe. I got on the freeway, drove it about 7 miles and drove it like I was pulling the house trailer. Floored it up to 70, then dropped it out of OD and kept it there for a few miles. When I got off the freeway to turn around and get back on, it ran like it hasn't for years. Throttle response was there, it honestly felt like a new vehicle. Even my wife noticed it (which is rare.)

When I got it back to the house, it had cylinder missfires on all cylinders, there was an O2 code (O2 sensor signal stuck, rich bank 1). I cleared the codes and it was perfect for a week until another lovely Sunday evening (apparently, my Expe doesn't like Sundays!) I ended up having the coil on Cylinder 4 replaced. I didn't have the time or I would have done it. Anyway, long story short, I've had good experiences with seafoam. I haven't put it in my Fusion yet, but it's only a 2011 and still runs perfect.

My Expedition has 171,000 miles on it. So far, all that I have had a problem with is an alternator, vacuum leak and the coil on cylinder 4. Fantastic vehicle (It does wear out tires faster then I like but hey.)

Last edited:

FireRed5.4

Reaction score
I have been performing scheduled and corrective maintenance on my vehicles for over 30 years and have never used an additive or other miracle gimmick cure in the fuel or oil systems, keep up with the basics, fix the problems as they occur and performance problems will be minimal.
Original Owner 2004 XLT 5.4 2V 98,000 & 1996 Cherokee Sport 4.0 I-6 166,000

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
I added 1/2 can through the vacuum line at the break booster and 1 1/2 cans in the gas tank the week prior to my Spark plug change (96,000 miles). Zero carbon on the front 3 plugs on each bank. I attribute the higher carbon on the cylinders 4 & 8 due to unequal flow from the intake manifold. Follow the directions on the back of the can, good stuff!

aircargoo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i would add NOTHING to oil on a 4.6. :bs: no thanks....just change it every 2-3 months like i do. i do it alot cause i got access to oil all week so easier said.....

AggieExpo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i like sea foam for a fuel additive but not so sure if i would use it for an oil additive. now here is my story. i have an 06 5.4 and i moved for about a year while my wife used the Expy. well she never changed the oil in the truck. it started running really bad and it had about 105,000 miles on it. so i took it to The Ford Dealership and they told me that it was sludge. They not only told me that but they told me that this was the worst case of sludge build up ever. They would have to rebuild my engine, that the sludge would eventually cause the engine to fail and i was pretty much shit out of luck.
Option A: rebuild the engine
Option B: buy a new engine
Option C: Auto RX Plus
I did a bunch of research looking for a way to remove sludge. Everything from adding diesel to sea foam recommended by O'Rielly sales douche, "he was rude and not very helpful on several occasions". Well anyways i heard about Auto RX and i used it for over a year changing the oil every 3000 miles for three oil changes, and then every 5000 miles with synthetic oil. The car now runs better than ever and all i can say is that i will be using the Auto RX every oil change to maintain a cleaner engine. But i now have a sludge free engine. Thats my story and i hope it helps.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360