Seat bottom swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mako825

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I installed a SeatShop bottom on my 08. Like you, I thought I'd save a few bucks with an ebay one. SeatShop has a video that compares their product one of the other cheaper seat bottoms. Watch it. I did and I choose to spend the extra $30 on the SeatShop's. Yes, they are pricey, but it went on with no problems and looks exactly like the original.

From time to time they have a 10% off sale that saves you about $20. That helps. talk to them. Their product is excellent and is made here.

Thanks Trainmaster - I watched The Seat Shop installation videos yesterday, but I missed the video where they compare their products to those of the lower priced eBay vendors. I just watched it and you are right - the video shows that there is a difference. Thanks for the tip!
Mako

Mako825

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After watching the video of how the other products compare, I contacted The Seat Shop. I provided them my VIN and they were very helpful to tell me which of their 3 offerings (LEATHER/VINYL, ALL VINYL or ALL LEATHER) was on my Ford, and the correct color.

So I went ahead and purchased a new Leather/Vinyl driver's seat bottom in Medium Parchment. They do have some discounts based on how much you spend, but since I was only buying the one item, it was not enough to trigger the promotional discount.

Not that it makes a difference, but I also did completed my transaction online using their website - instead of buying from their eBay or Amazon store.

Looking forward to receiving it and replacing the torn one I have now.

Mako

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
TobyU - I read you 5x5 that you're holding out for cheap Chinese knock-offs.

Nevertheless, anyone else out there in the Ford Expedition family that has had success buying seats bottoms from one of the many eBay vendors?

Thanks!
Mako

Not holding out...but not buying what is out there either.
Plenty of people happy with seat shop and others online just read the reviews.
Product is not the prob..price is.

Mako825

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After watching the video of how the other products compare, I contacted The Seat Shop. I provided them my VIN and they were very helpful to tell me which of their 3 offerings (LEATHER/VINYL, ALL VINYL or ALL LEATHER) was on my Ford, and the correct color.

So I went ahead and purchased a new Leather/Vinyl driver's seat bottom in Medium Parchment. They do have some discounts based on how much you spend, but since I was only buying the one item, it was not enough to trigger the promotional discount.

Not that it makes a difference, but I also did completed my transaction online using their website - instead of buying from their eBay or Amazon store.

Looking forward to receiving it and replacing the torn one I have now.

Mako

Well, I installed the new driver's seat bottom today from The Seat Shop and couldn't be more pleased. There was however, a little drama with my order.

For colors, The Seat Shop goes by the info shown on the tag inside the driver's door. Mine showed that the interior color and seats on my 2003 Expedition was Medium Parchment. When I got the new seat, it was Medium Parchment, and was too dark because we learned my seats are actually Light Parchment.

The Seat Shop checked a little closer and found that Ford Expeditions made between Oct 2002 and Feb 2003 (mine was made in Oct 2002) had a Light Parchment option like mine, but it doesn't show that on the door tag. So they shipped the correct color seat and included an RMA pre-paid Fed Ex label for me to send the wrong color seat back. But they stuck the RMA label on the box instead of the label to ship to me. so FedEx picked up the box from The Seat Shop and took it to the Fed Ex depot, then delivered it back to The Seat Shop 2 days later. Quite a cartoon moment that burned another week. Luckily I was in no hurry. So I finally got the right color seat last week and returned to them the wrong one.

Installation was just like the video on their website. I just took my time and it all went together well. Before the worse thing on my 2003 Ford Expedition was the torn drivers seat. Now it's good as new.

Mako825

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, I installed the new driver's seat bottom today from The Seat Shop and couldn't be more pleased. There was however, a little drama with my order.

For colors, The Seat Shop goes by the info shown on the tag inside the driver's door. Mine showed that the interior color and seats on my 2003 Expedition was Medium Parchment. When I got the new seat, it was Medium Parchment, and was too dark because we learned my seats are actually Light Parchment.

The Seat Shop checked a little closer and found that Ford Expeditions made between Oct 2002 and Feb 2003 (mine was made in Oct 2002) had a Light Parchment option like mine, but it doesn't show that on the door tag. So they shipped the correct color seat and included an RMA pre-paid Fed Ex label for me to send the wrong color seat back. But they stuck the RMA label on the box instead of the label to ship to me. so FedEx picked up the box from The Seat Shop and took it to the Fed Ex depot, then delivered it back to The Seat Shop 2 days later. Quite a cartoon moment that burned another week. Luckily I was in no hurry. So I finally got the right color seat last week and returned to them the wrong one.

Installation was just like the video on their website. I just took my time and it all went together well. Before the worse thing on my 2003 Ford Expedition was the torn drivers seat. Now it's good as new.

Mako825
As I said, everyone is very happy with their products and they're not the only company that makes good seat replacement covers. The problem is it's basically $200 spent to replace just the butt of one seat.
I could go to several local upholstery shops and have them do it for that much and I wouldn't even have to do the work myself.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any pics with the new cover? I'm considering these as well but doing both front seats, upper and lower w new foam

The price is definitely up there but if quality is as well it could be worth it. I'll definitely explore local shops for due diligence but never hurts to see more examples.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From what I have found, when you get into doing the entire seat it ends up being a little cheaper to buy the covers and put them on yourself. If you just need a bottom cover or sometimes just the left side or the center of a bottom cover, they will repair that and make it look like new for a lower-cost and buying the seat cover and doing it yourself.

Mako825

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any pics with the new cover? I'm considering these as well but doing both front seats, upper and lower w new foam

The price is definitely up there but if quality is as well it could be worth it. I'll definitely explore local shops for due diligence but never hurts to see more examples.

Hey there Aspen - Attached are a couple of pics of the installed seat bottom. What I learned from watching the comparison video is that the Seat Shop goes to the extra trouble of manufacturing and sewing on the different types of clips that slip and fit onto the different sections of the seat rail hardware.

IMG_4764.JPG. IMG_4759.JPG

Here's a picture of my old seat cover turned upside down that shows all the odd clips. There's also the stitched-in velcro (white) to keep the seat adhered to the foam.

Seat Clips.JPG

I can't say what an auto upholstery shop can or can't do or charges. I tried looking into this option last year for another car and every reputable place I went to had a very long wait list.

But I can say for the one I just installed - It is well made. The color matches. I did it when it was convenient for me. It fits. I'm pleased.

Mako825