Seatbelt Chime disable procedure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SDExpyMax

Reaction score
Hi. I am new to the forum. Just got a new 2018 Expedition Max Platinum. Love it. I am wondering if anyone know the procedure for disabling the driver and passenger seatbelt chime?
I have done this with my previous F150 but not with a push button start vehicle.
Any assistance would be appreciated.
Thanks

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Read Steps 1 - 4 thoroughly before proceeding with the programming procedure.
Before following the procedure, make sure that:
  • The parking brake is set.
  • The transmission is in park (P).
  • The ignition is off.
  • All vehicle doors are closed.
  • The driver and front passenger seatbelts are unbuckled.
  1. Switch the ignition on.Do not start the engine.
  1. Wait until the seatbelt warning light turns off (about one minute). After Step 2, wait an additional 5 seconds before proceeding with Step 3. Once you start Step 3, you must complete the procedure within 60 seconds.
  1. For the seating position you are switching off, buckle then unbuckle the seatbelt three times at a moderate speed, ending in the unbuckled state. After Step 3, the seatbelt warning light turns on.
  1. While the seatbelt warning light is on, buckle then unbuckle the seatbelt. After Step 4, the seatbelt warning light flashes for confirmation.
  • This will switch the feature off for that seating position if it is currently on.
  • This will switch the feature on for that seating position if it is currently off.

upload_2018-11-13_14-44-8.png

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So this will allow you to drive unbuckled and disables the unbuckle alert?

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So this will allow you to drive unbuckled and disables the unbuckle alert?
It should.

Here in Texas I've heard this referred to as "Ranch Mode" (i.e. when you're driving around your ranch and don't EVER put on a seat belt, you don't want the dadgum thing screaming at you.)

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It should.

Here in Texas I've heard this referred to as "Ranch Mode" (i.e. when you're driving around your ranch and don't EVER put on a seat belt, you don't want the dadgum thing screaming at you.)
I’ll have to try this! I tried to disable that chime with FOREscan but Ford made it so you can’t turn it off that way anymore. Thanks for the tip.

OP
OP
SDExpyMax

SDExpyMax

Reaction score
Thanks aggiegrad05. I also found that disabling procedure on page 41 of the owners manual. Just got done doing it. Worked great! Easy to do and didn’t take hardly any time.
Appreciate your assistance.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On occasion, it may make sense to you to NOT have your seatbelt fastened whenever the vehicle is moving; but when out on the public roadways you should make it mandatory for everyone in the vehicle to be belted in. In most states, the insurance companies have lobbied legislatures to allow for "shared liability" in claims. So, if someone were to crash their vehicle into yours, and even if it were 100% their fault; their insurance could claim that, by someone not having their seat belt fastened, the seriousness of their injuries is partially their fault and attempt to reduce that person's eligibility to receive the full coverage under the policy for medical and/or pain and suffering. Given state minimum coverages, when the cost of the claims exceeds their coverage, then you'll need your insurance to pick up the shortfall under comprehensive or "underinsured motorist" coverage. In that case or in an accident that is your own fault, your own insurance company will try to diminish what amounts they'll cover. In the past and with several younger drivers in the family (none of whom have had at-fault accidents), we've seen firsthand how insurance companies have tried to shortchange us at every turn. In some parts of Phoenix, where we live, the likelihood of being hit by an uninsured driver, who is probably unlicensed as well, is probably 50/50 and in many cases when their car is not immobilized or boxed in, those drivers will run leaving you to settle with your own company. Our worst case scenario was when the person who hit our vehicle had the same insurer as we did. In that case they tried to disregard witness reports in order to attempt to re-interpret the facts of the accident to assign a portion of the claim against our policy. Not trying to preach, but adding a heads-up.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On occasion, it may make sense to you to NOT have your seatbelt fastened whenever the vehicle is moving; but when out on the public roadways you should make it mandatory for everyone in the vehicle to be belted in. In most states, the insurance companies have lobbied legislatures to allow for "shared liability" in claims. So, if someone were to crash their vehicle into yours, and even if it were 100% their fault; their insurance could claim that, by someone not having their seat belt fastened, the seriousness of their injuries is partially their fault and attempt to reduce that person's eligibility to receive the full coverage under the policy for medical and/or pain and suffering. Given state minimum coverages, when the cost of the claims exceeds their coverage, then you'll need your insurance to pick up the shortfall under comprehensive or "underinsured motorist" coverage. In that case or in an accident that is your own fault, your own insurance company will try to diminish what amounts they'll cover. In the past and with several younger drivers in the family (none of whom have had at-fault accidents), we've seen firsthand how insurance companies have tried to shortchange us at every turn. In some parts of Phoenix, where we live, the likelihood of being hit by an uninsured driver, who is probably unlicensed as well, is probably 50/50 and in many cases when their car is not immobilized or boxed in, those drivers will run leaving you to settle with your own company. Our worst case scenario was when the person who hit our vehicle had the same insurer as we did. In that case they tried to disregard witness reports in order to attempt to re-interpret the facts of the accident to assign a portion of the claim against our policy. Not trying to preach, but adding a heads-up.
I always wear my seatbelt on the road, in fact I feel naked with out the belt on. However, I don’t want to wear it when I’m in and out of the car hooking my trailer up or getting in and out to open and close gates while driving around on our river property.

twernst

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Read Steps 1 - 4 thoroughly before proceeding with the programming procedure.
Before following the procedure, make sure that:
  • The parking brake is set.
  • The transmission is in park (P).
  • The ignition is off.
  • All vehicle doors are closed.
  • The driver and front passenger seatbelts are unbuckled.
  1. Switch the ignition on.Do not start the engine.
  1. Wait until the seatbelt warning light turns off (about one minute). After Step 2, wait an additional 5 seconds before proceeding with Step 3. Once you start Step 3, you must complete the procedure within 60 seconds.
  1. For the seating position you are switching off, buckle then unbuckle the seatbelt three times at a moderate speed, ending in the unbuckled state. After Step 3, the seatbelt warning light turns on.
  1. While the seatbelt warning light is on, buckle then unbuckle the seatbelt. After Step 4, the seatbelt warning light flashes for confirmation.
  • This will switch the feature off for that seating position if it is currently on.
  • This will switch the feature on for that seating position if it is currently off.
View attachment 27624

Thanks for sharing worked like a charm.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360