Service Advancetrac

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Momof5

Reaction score
I have a 2011 expedition that I have been having some issues with. When I got the truck I noticed when I would stop there would be some gridning like noise. But then when I would get out of the truck there would be an odor coming from the brakes that almost smelled as if my ebrake was on. This didnt happen all the time, and the smell wasnt always there when the grinding noise was either.
So fast forward to the other day, this issue has been going on since I got the truck in Jan. Well now as Im driving home the other day some warning lights came on. Check engine, which went off. And now service advancetrac is on. I called the dealership but he said there is no such thing and he has never heard of such notice? I took a picture of it because he said that light doesnt exist or service function. Im ever so slightly confused. And dont know what to do?

FordCustSrvc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2011 expedition that I have been having some issues with. When I got the truck I noticed when I would stop there would be some gridning like noise. But then when I would get out of the truck there would be an odor coming from the brakes that almost smelled as if my ebrake was on. This didnt happen all the time, and the smell wasnt always there when the grinding noise was either.
So fast forward to the other day, this issue has been going on since I got the truck in Jan. Well now as Im driving home the other day some warning lights came on. Check engine, which went off. And now service advancetrac is on. I called the dealership but he said there is no such thing and he has never heard of such notice? I took a picture of it because he said that light doesnt exist or service function. Im ever so slightly confused. And dont know what to do?
I can see why this would be disconcerting, and I would like to offer my assistance. So I can help, please send me a private message with your VIN, dealer name, and approximate mileage.

Cory

GerryM

Reaction score
I have a 2010 Ford Expedition Edddie Bauer 4x4 fully loaded with 7050 miles on it and yesterday (7/30/11) I started it and recieved a " Service Advancetrac" message and its yellow car swerving indicator light. It only stayed on for a few minutes and since I didnt know what that error was I shut the SUV off and didnt use it. I started it today and the message and light are off still and when I did a system check it did not report any errors ( but im not sure if advancetrac is something the system tests in the system check)
Is is safe to drive the SUV? Should I have it towed to the dealer?

GerryM
Fairfield County, Conn.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
AdvancTrac is just a stability control system. It uses a ton of sensors to determine where the truck is going vs where you're trying to make it go. It then brakes individual wheels to make the truck go in the intended direction.

It's 'safe' to drive without the system (I do it every day) but you just aren't getting its added safety.

Since you're under warranty, there's no reason not to get it to the dealer asap. Don't let them give you the "bring it back when the light is on" b.s., make them go over the system with a fine tooth comb. You don't want this problem popping up again after the warranty is up, it could cost a fortune.

GerryM

Reaction score
AdvancTrac is just a stability control system. It uses a ton of sensors to determine where the truck is going vs where you're trying to make it go. It then brakes individual wheels to make the truck go in the intended direction.

It's 'safe' to drive without the system (I do it every day) but you just aren't getting its added safety.

Since you're under warranty, there's no reason not to get it to the dealer asap. Don't let them give you the "bring it back when the light is on" b.s., make them go over the system with a fine tooth comb. You don't want this problem popping up again after the warranty is up, it could cost a fortune.

You are absolutely right, thank you for your input I will take it there today

SOLISIMO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And if they give you crap just pm Cory from the second post. I cant imagine what dealers you guys have to deal with. Ive never had any problems with mine, but then again my wife works upstairs :)

bigblack

Reaction score
I just had this happen yesterday on my wife's 2011. No lights today though. I scanned for codes and got nothing. Did the dealer ever figure out what this was?

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i dont think you will get an answer...he only had 3 posts...hopefully cory responds

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is it possible the lights on the dash are just to let you know the system is activated for whatever reason? I know on our cars when the traction control comes on there's a light on the dash to tell you it's activated and that's why you're going no where with traffic coming at you.

ccbc65

Reaction score
Hello all,
It's time to retire my 2003 Expedition. I bought her new and she now has 325k miles on her. She has served me very well and has been a huge blessing for my family and many others we have helped. But she's all original and is starting to show her age. My only complaint with her was the lack of room behind the 3rd row seats so I want to upgrade to an EL. Yesterday I looked at a very nice 2010 EL Limited with 105k on it. The truck was nice but had rust through on the passenger side rocker panels above the running boards, not unusual and I can live with that. But I noticed 2 things that concern me.

First is what's mentioned in this thread. The message center said Service AdvanceTrac when I started the truck. I don't know it that's regular maintenance or if it indicates a problem with the AdvanceTrac. Since the AdvanceTrac includes the ABS, Traction Control, wheel sensors, steering sensor, steering rack and more, I am concerned this could be a very expensive repair. Can anyone who had this problem tell me what their resolution was?

The second item is the heated and cooled seats in the front. The drivers side seemed to work well but the passenger side turned on for a few minutes then turned off by itself and would not turn on again for either heating or cooling. Has anyone had an issue with that on theirs?

Any and all feedback would be well appreciated...

Thank you and God Bless!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360