Service department visit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bones

Reaction score
Today I retrieved my Expy from the Ford service department where I had warranty work done. When I checked the Expy in I showed the service writer:

#1. Pictures of the message I have received many times that says, " Your phone is unable to maintain a stable connection with SYNC. Phone functions are not available via SYNC." I told him I had only one phone linked to the system.

#2. I showed him a video of the right mirror glass will adjust all the way out and in and continue to click after I opened the driver's door. I told him it also happens with the left mirror.

The impression I got from him was that what I showed him and told him was the first time he had heard of these issues.

On the completed service invoice this is what they did:

#1. (SYNC) Could not duplicate concern. Perform Master Reset.

#2. (Mirrors) DDM and PDM software out of date. Reprogrammed both per SSM 47835 verified repair.

We will see if what they did will make a difference.

On a side note I headed home and turned on the cooled seats because believe it or not it was 80 degrees in Seattle and of course the cool seats didn't work so I will have to make another service appointment with the dealer where I think they should be able to replicate the problem. May be I should find a Lincoln service department.

OP
OP
B

Bones

Reaction score
Oddly enough since the DDM/PDM software update the mirrors haven't given me a problem. Before the update it was an off and on again issue but all good so far.

Now an update on the following issue, which was:
#1. Pictures of the message I have received many times that says, " Your phone is unable to maintain a stable connection with SYNC. Phone functions are not available via SYNC." I told him I had only one phone linked to the system.

I decided to take the Expy to another dealer to try to fix this problem which continued. That dealer's service techs hooked up to my system which was also tied to the Ford headquarters techs and they spent a lot of time updating.
It didn't fix the problem. I had suggested to them that it could be a faulty APIM. I will return to the dealer and suggest they move from a software issue to a hardware issue.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just curious, how are you connecting? And what type of phone? All of a sudden one day my wife's phone started having issues with connecting and staying connected (iphone x) and she found a bunch of stuff online to try and after updating sync via wifi and reseting a bunch of things it reconnected and has been fine. This is on a 2019 and whatever the standard sync is that comes on it. Not sure how it compares to what might be in other years.

OP
OP
B

Bones

Reaction score
I only own one Android Verizon J7 Samsung which is connected via bluetooth on SYNC. We don't have a subscription for the Ford on-board WiFi. My cell phone updates are current. Thank you for sharing what worked for your wife.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My use of the bluetooth has not been great and doesn't work well and is limited in functionality, seems to be buggy SYNC software/firmware. In ours we can connect with the usb cables also and that works much better. I have heard the bluetooth functionality is not good with SYNC. The iphone doesn't seem to connect via bluetooth at all, cable only. My connection with android and bluetooth is not great and has issues. I also think android auto is not the greatest and might be some of the problem.

I also don't have onboard wifi but in the garage, the SYNC radio can connect to my house wifi and get downloads for firmware updates. Not sure if this is available in all years or not but I thought I had read there was a difference between 2018 and 2019

Kmdcolo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just got my 18 back from the dealer. It was in the shop for 5-days (ridiculous) for an oil change, safety recall checks, and issues with my mirror. I shared video of it clicking and Ford corporate says it is a feature and operating as intended. “It helps the stepper motors reset their range of motion limits”.

Last edited:

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just got my 18 back from the dealer. It was in the shop for 5-days (ridiculous) for an oil change, safety recall checks, and issues with my mirror. I shared video of it clicking and Ford corporate says it is a feature and operating ad intended. “It helps the stepper motors reset their range of motion limits”.

Coughtbullshitcough

It’s pretty wild to me that a problem as obvious (and, honestly, as embarrassing) as your side views clicking away incessantly into the sky is beyond the technical abilities of FoMoCo to diagnose and fix.

Oh well, I guess it’s good it’s not something more serious.

rob4092xx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am confused. Does SSM 47835 fix the clicking mirror issue or is this the way the system was designed per Ford?

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Jim Hackett could swear on a bible being held by a group of nuns hugging his mother that the mirrors were designed to do that and I wouldn’t believe him.

Someone on here claimed the fix you mentioned worked, but I believe he later realized he had misspoken. As far as I know it is an open issue that remains unsolved.