SES P0446

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's a bummer. I guess I just got lucky.

Do you top the tank off? I think I've read here if gas is pumped ++ after nozzle clicks off it can flow in to the charcoal canister, causing problems. Maybe someone else can chime in on that subject. I estimate what it will take to get close to Full tank, then back it off a few gallons. It did take some time for the code to not come back after the new Ford cap.

Lastly, I was told by the service advisor, shop foreman and Director of service at the ford dealer it can take well in excess of 100 miles to not have the CEL come back on. I thought it was 50 miles. I almost went through a half tank of gas before it finally went away, after a dozen+ driving cycles and probably close to 200 miles. I was doing a lot of fwy driving too.

I forgot if it keeps the code as 'pending' until mileage, driving cycles are met, even if cleared.

OP
OP
P

Plati

Reaction score
I never top the tank off, but I did fill it. I have an OBDII bluetooth and can clear the code. It only then comes back on startup when the system activates that solenoid to test it. Or so I think. I will however remain calm (beer & golf helps) and drive through a tank of gas before I get too serious. OK, I'll never get serious.

OP
OP
P

Plati

Reaction score
The SES light has been on solid since Oct 13. Never cleared it, figured I would drive the gas tank down & see what happens. Tank is now at 1/2. Decided to clear fault a couple days ago and fault has not come back. Only a couple days so will wait'n'see but so far so good. We have had a lot of environmental changes so it could be something other than gas cap like a hose or crack or hole decided to close up but hey, I'm happy it's gone for now. Could be gas cap I'm not worried about it and have some ideas of things to try next but it's always better to not get in there and break things trying to fix something.
Nice to think I can get more years out of the BEATER BEAST RUSTBUCKET!!

:chewie: