She is gone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
and0r

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just a FYI,
a clogged cat does make the oil smell different. It is actually noticeable. The oil smells somewhat like fuel, though not exactly. Kind of hard to explain. It smells "dirty" despite changing regularly, using standard oil and not any type of synthetic.
For anyone diagnosing a clogged cat, the smell should be a double confirmation, or perhaps a quick indication on its own. Saving you time!

knewblewkorvett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I remember studying optical technology that can "sniff" your exhaust as you drive by, back in the 70's. Sort of like the inspection sensors for trucks that determine any wheel that's overheating and flags that for further review. Police cars now have readers that instantly capture license plates and look them up in the cloud for other concerns, like valid registration & inspection, not to mention warrants. The authorities know where every vehicle goes & when … in cities that do that. Don't need to stop and pay tolls anymore in places, they bill you. I'm sure face identification isn't far off with that. Pretty soon every vehicle will be part of on road network that will have uses we haven't even imagined yet. Welcome to the 21st century, like it or not.

Thankfully Iowa has no inspections of any kind. A cop will get you for a cracked windshield though. Traffic cameras are being put up and I absolutely hate the idea of them. I truly believe it's an infringement on our rights. Things you are talking about are straight out of the book 1984. Read it, it will scare you. Big Brother is watching :chair:

OP
OP
and0r

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you have any idea how effective police monitored surveillance is? Trust me it's not there to infringe on the lives of normal people.

firstford

Reaction score
Don't know where you got the "20 year old" exemption, not true.
There has never been dyno testing in NYS either?
https://dmv.ny.gov/brochure/new-york-state-vehicle-safetyemissions-inspection-program

1999 NYS

The dynamometer test is the centerpiece of a new emissions-testing program required in the New York metropolitan region by the Federal Clean Air Act. In New York State, nine counties are affected: Rockland, Westchester, Nassau, Suffolk and the five boroughs of New York City. The new test is conducted along with the safety inspection that has long been required. The combined emissions and safety check costs car owners $35, compared with $19 for the old test.

Plati

Reaction score
1999 NYS

The dynamometer test is the centerpiece of a new emissions-testing program required in the New York metropolitan region by the Federal Clean Air Act. In New York State, nine counties are affected: Rockland, Westchester, Nassau, Suffolk and the five boroughs of New York City. The new test is conducted along with the safety inspection that has long been required. The combined emissions and safety check costs car owners $35, compared with $19 for the old test.
I stand corrected. Always ready to learn new things, thanks.

Its so ridiculous to require dynamometers I cant believe it!!!
But it was true. Only in New York
I wonder if the shops that bought the equipment went out of business?

https://www.nytimes.com/1999/04/16/automobiles/equipment-snarls-emissions-tests.html

Last edited: