'Shift delayed - Pull forward' and P0446 & P1633 codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flippingroc

Reaction score
Of my Fords I've ever had; this one has been a nightmare (my 3rd Expedition). Background: over the past 3 years this has moved maybe a total of 500 miles. Prior to that my father borrowed it and t-boned someone who ran a red light, having no insurance, license or registration. Because it was my father driving, my insurance wouldn't cover. $8,000 later the body looks like I picked it up back in 2010. I'm tight on money any looking to self-diagnose the issues as much as I can to take it to a shop to save some money (diagnosis and parts).

It's a Canadian 2010 Limited EL 4WD.

There are 3 issues it's telling me: codes P0446 & P1633 and 'Shift Delayed Pull Forward' in the messenger center.

What I've mechanically done since the accident; OEM plugs and coil packs, oil change (done by a real tech) and transfer Case Shift Motor (done by me). None of these lights were on before or immediately after fixed. Came on after sitting for while (NYS took forever with salvage inspection and it was when covid first started to arise).

What's happening now: From the get go, there is an issue: If I try to start the truck (warm or cold) and I don't cycle the ignition once (I hear the fuel pump kick on no matter what) it is a very very long start or it doesn't at all. Then it will start right up, or like I said if I cycle it- it starts fine. Now any time I have cleared the engine codes the light stays off for about :30-:60 seconds and then stays on. Put it into gear then the message center pops up with the delayed shift message. I don't notice any slipping really in the transmission- I'm thinking maybe I didn't properly install the shift motor... Im' looking to at least get the check engine light off so I can get it inspected and sell the thing. Looking at a 2016/17 Expedition/Navigator. My 08 I sold with 330K on original major components (eng/trans/drive) and the new owner said he has 420K on it and still no issues.

I'm going to keep searching- but appreciate any help/feedback you could possibly give.
Thanks!
Ry

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do not understand why your insurance company can deny coverage unless your dad was excluded. The P1633 is powertrain control module or connection to the PCM, probably from the accident, may account for the pull forward message. Could also be battery voltage issues, PCM likes full voltage.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Could also be battery voltage issues, PCM likes full voltage.
Check your grounds, might be a loose one.
I'm going to keep searching- but appreciate any help/feedback you could possibly give.
And i will 3rd that. Make sure your battery/charging system is good (battery and alt check at Auto Zone for free) then do a VOLTAGE DROP TEST. You can use that on the positive side and negative side to check the cables and grounds. this will make sure voltage is getting there and that you have proper grounding. (Also voltage drop test starter cables positive and negative)

Then you can move forward with diagnosis without the possibility of waisting time or going in circles.

Speedboosted

Reaction score
Your starting issue is almost certainly a bad check valve in the supply line. I don't know if it's part of the pump assembly on these, likely is, but the only way to fix it is to get a working check valve in there. The cheapest way would be to install one somewhere in the supply line, but it may be difficult to get it to seal/not leak. The best solution is to replace the pump assembly which will have a new valve built in (most likely).