Shift pattern of 4R70W

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gribble

Reaction score
First let me say this is the first Ford product I've ever had. I have a 2000 XLT with a 4.6 and a 4R70W with 226,000 miles. I would like to know what the shift pattern is for this trans. I also have a 2002 Silverado and the shift pattern is different.

This truck does have a bad converter lockup intermittently. That's either the solenoid or the converter itself; I'm just wondering if there's other issues also.

Here's what happens: When normal driving it goes 1-2, 2-3, 3 lockup, 4. No problems there. What seems strange is when it downshifts when I'm driving up hills. It goes 4-3, then unlocks, then 3-2. I normally wouldn't have a problem, but it seems like I get no real acceleration/power until the converter locks (makes sense as to how converters work).

In my Silverado, when it downshifts for acceleration up hills it always unlocks the converter before shifting from 4 to 3.

I know these are different transmissions and may behave differently, but I'm having a hard time finding out information on this.