Shocks or Struts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frost

Reaction score
I have googled this and have seen some people refer to them as one and some to another.

Does my 2016 Expedition Max (EL) Platinum have front and/or rear struts?

Dealership says they are all 4 shock absorbers and not struts thus not covered under extended warranty. $3000 (CDN) repair cost.

I realize they look like struts being coil over... but is there any hard evidence that states they are indeed struts? I've looked on ford's part website and see no mention of the word strut. Would really like to have this covered under my warranty otherwise I'll just replace them myself.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I realize they look like struts being coil over... but is there any hard evidence that states they are indeed struts?

If you can ride without it SHOCK

If you can NOT move the truck without it STRUT.

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As mentioned above, struts on all 4 corners. Are struts covered under an extended warranty? Unless it physically breaks I'm not sure why it would be.

shock-strut-infographic.jpg

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Talk to the service manager. This just sounds like bad service at this point. You can look in the well and see that they are struts. The parts diagram shows the shock going into the strut assembly.

OP
OP
F

Frost

Reaction score
As mentioned above, struts on all 4 corners. Are struts covered under an extended warranty? Unless it physically breaks I'm not sure why it would be.

View attachment 73186
Extended warranty does cover struts but not shock absorbers. The shock absorber part is what is leaking but my understanding is that is technically part of the strut.

OP
OP
F

Frost

Reaction score
Talk to the service manager. This just sounds like bad service at this point. You can look in the well and see that they are struts. The parts diagram shows the shock going into the strut assembly.
It is bad service in general where I am but it is the assistant service manager that continues to call them only shock absorbers.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
But how does one convince the stubborn dealership that refuses to call it anything g but shock absorbers?
I went through this same debate with my 2011. I then called my regular mechanic and he said: "Put me on the phone with the tech and I'll explain to this idiot why they're struts." I don't know exactly what he said, but the tech got off the phone and said they were struts.

View attachment 73186

Yes, struts are covered. Shocks are not. That's why they insist on pretending they're shocks.

Jamo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just had my '14 EL LTD in for 4WD hub repairs (inspection) under my extended warranty. I know both of my rear shocks were leaking, and when we had it up in the air to check the hubs, one of my fronts is also leaking. This is at my local Ford dealer. The head wrench is a trusted friend, and he tried to get my shocks covered, and he agreed that they are struts. Either way, no go on my EW. Damn. I asked, since they were already in there doing the hubs, how much more labor to install a new set of struts? 5 hours on the strut labor and they knocked it down to 2 that I pay for. Same for the rear, 2 hours labor. I'm just doing the Ford struts (complete shock & spring), my cost will be less than $1500 US.

BTW: I'm one of those who bought the mid range extended warranty from my dealer, and I am now well over the top. I had 80K when I bought it used, my warranty was $1800 4/yr/36,000. I'm on my last year and have just under 100K. Over the years, I have had zero electrical issues (one of the reasons I bought the EW), and several mechanical. I figure I'm well into $2000, closer to $3000. Peace of mind was great, getting it covered was better. I'd do it again...