Shocks or Struts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cy Webit

Reaction score
I just replaced my rear shocks (pass was leaking) on my 2016 Expy EL this weekend. If the shock was not removable, I'd agree it should be a strut. Went with Bilsteins for the Expy. Rides much nicer and moved the ride-height adjuster from the stock (bottom) to the middle setting for about 3/4" lift. Works nicely, especially when towing.

Attachments

• 2016ExpyRearShockAssmbly_20220430_153700.jpg
    2016ExpyRearShockAssmbly_20220430_153700.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 21

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Again, ^^ that's a strut since the weight of the vehicle is carried by the damper itself.

fdmsiv

Reaction score
I just replaced my rear shocks (pass was leaking) on my 2016 Expy EL this weekend. If the shock was not removable, I'd agree it should be a strut. Went with Bilsteins for the Expy. Rides much nicer and moved the ride-height adjuster from the stock (bottom) to the middle setting for about 3/4" lift. Works nicely, especially when towing.
Can you tell me what Billy part No. you used for the rear? Also where did you get those, I've been looking all over and can't find any. Closest I came was number 80 on a wait list with no idea of when I'd get them.

Also, any trouble getting the spring perches off the pre-upgrade shocks?

MikeL867

Reaction score
I replaced my leaking fronts with Bilstein on my 2017 Expedition Max Limited.

The rears have been replaced three times - next time I'm putting Bilstein's on the rear too. I will miss the self-leveling suspension when towing 9k lbs - might try out air bags if needed.

cywebit

Reaction score
Can you tell me what Billy part No. you used for the rear? Also where did you get those, I've been looking all over and can't find any. Closest I came was number 80 on a wait list with no idea of when I'd get them.

I'll have to check my receipt, was an off brand vendor. Rear stock perches came off without much trouble.

Attachments

• 20220425_114848.jpg
    20220425_114848.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 21

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I replaced my leaking fronts with Bilstein on my 2017 Expedition Max Limited.

The rears have been replaced three times - next time I'm putting Bilstein's on the rear too. I will miss the self-leveling suspension when towing 9k lbs - might try out air bags if needed.

A properly configured weight distribution hitch will take some of the weight off the rear and reapportion it between the front axle and trailer axle. If configured correctly, your rear should not sag. The air bags are not a substitute for returning weight to the steering axle. Boats seem to be an exception, since they have relatively low tongue weight compared to the total trailer weight. But I don't have any direct experience with boats.

Last edited:

Cy Webit

Reaction score

fdmsiv

Reaction score
Thanks for the part numbers. Having better luck shaking down a leprechaun then putting my hands on some of those, closest I've got is number 80 on a waiting list.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just had my '14 EL LTD in for 4WD hub repairs (inspection) under my extended warranty. I know both of my rear shocks were leaking, and when we had it up in the air to check the hubs, one of my fronts is also leaking. This is at my local Ford dealer. The head wrench is a trusted friend, and he tried to get my shocks covered, and he agreed that they are struts. Either way, no go on my EW. Damn. I asked, since they were already in there doing the hubs, how much more labor to install a new set of struts? 5 hours on the strut labor and they knocked it down to 2 that I pay for. Same for the rear, 2 hours labor. I'm just doing the Ford struts (complete shock & spring), my cost will be less than $1500 US.

BTW: I'm one of those who bought the mid range extended warranty from my dealer, and I am now well over the top. I had 80K when I bought it used, my warranty was $1800 4/yr/36,000. I'm on my last year and have just under 100K. Over the years, I have had zero electrical issues (one of the reasons I bought the EW), and several mechanical. I figure I'm well into $2000, closer to $3000. Peace of mind was great, getting it covered was better. I'd do it again...
Be very careful of using the strut / spring package. I did that and it ruined the balance of the truck (front springs did not match OE) and front ended up 2” lower.

Jamo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Glenn. I would like to assume the Ford dealer would do things right as to OE specs and use the Ford struts?? All bets are off these days though. My local dealer as well as his head wrench (who is doing the work) are trusted friends. Let's hope I still trust them after this...