Shop claiming transmission "clunk" is the differential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hell, you're still not out of the woods yet. The next trans could be a pos too and you go through the same crap again.

This is a good learning lesson for future trans issues. If the replacement trans hasn't been put on a dyno and tested then it is a roll of the dice.

OP
OP
Matticus

Matticus

Reaction score
Ugh...I know. That's been in the back of my mind. LKQ has a fairly reputable name around here, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that they are trying to run a legit operation. Still, there are a handful of things that were implied when I did business with them that I'm not sure if I misunderstood what was being said or if they were being misleading.

#1. I specifically asked the sales rep if I would need to do any transmission programming after installed it. He told me "no, we'll match the trans to your vin so that won't be necessary". Now, I'm not sure if there are other forms of programming and we were talking about two different things, but the reality turns out that, yes, there was additional programming needed and now I get to pay for it twice.

#2. When the rep talked about the labor warranty, he made a pretty strong implication that $50/hr would cover the majority most shops labor if it came to warranty work. Sort of a "shops will work with us and it should be enough to cover their guys time". Ha! Not even sorta. I think that's the one that chaps my hide the most. It amounts to a little more than a good coupon's worth of discount.

But, I think you're right, moose. At a minimum, I'll (in as professional and kind manner possible) tell them my experience and express my dissatisfaction and see what happens. The worst they can do is just shrug their shoulders and say "too bad".

OP
OP
Matticus

Matticus

Reaction score
Well...problem does not seem to be solved and/or there is something else going on. Transmission was swapped on warranty as previously mentioned. Everything seemed to be fixed until the engine failure a few weeks later (outlined in https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/multiple-misfire-after-fill-up-coincidence.38911/ )

So, I got the motor swapped. Now, that SAME transmission "clunk" when slowing down is back. Same exact sound, same exact situation (slowing down, crossing 25mph, downshift into 3rd = *clunk*). In addition to this, if I manually put the transmission into 3rd, it will not shift out of 3rd no matter what. Doesn't matter if I'm at a complete stop or mashing the throttle at low speed: stays in 3rd. The guy that did the engine swap is looking at it as we speak, but I'm not sure how savvy he is with something like this. We shall see. I'm ready to buy a cheap camera/gopro and mount it under the truck so that I can post a video of what I am hearing

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If its doing exactly the same thing, at the same speed, you can rule out the transmission. Unless the bonehead that R&R it put back in the old one. Seriously though, it sounds like a power train module gone awry. Boy and I thought I had back luck. If that shop can't fix it, do they allow you to bring it elsewhere?

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Slowing down on a shift clunk could be transmission mount

OP
OP
Matticus

Matticus

Reaction score
Yeah...this is just how these things go for me, so I'm used to it :D
So, quick recap - the shop that did the trans did not do the motor swap. They quoted me $8500+ for that (another shop quoted me $10,000+) so I ended up finding an independent guy who did it for $3500. He's got the truck now and is seeing what he can figure out. Sorry to double post, but I asked about the "staying in 3rd gear" issue here also https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/manual-gear-selection.39402/#post-345722
JExpedition07 is saying that the trans staying in 3rd gear is normal - can anyone else back that claim up?

As far as the clunk goes, I considered the possibility of a mount or any other number of items (drive shaft, etc), but as I stated previously in this post, for it to do it so predictably at the exact same speed and gear shift seems to rule that out. I would expect it to do the same thing in every other gear to one degree or another. Unless there is something very particular about what happens in the trans when in/shifting in to 3rd gear?

Oh, and yes...I'm pretty sure I can have warranty work done anywhere I want

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The clunk would be loudest if you had a 4 speed that was coming off overdrive, like my Lincoln's did with the crappy AOD overdrive system. But you have a 6 speed last time I checked. With that theory, you'd clunk from 6th to 5th, not 3rd. I've been checking for similar problems like yours, and come up with none. Thirds in the middle of the shift band, so unless theirs a known internal part failure like a clutch pack drum or something, it's got to be external. It would be like your engine vibrating at exactly 3,000 rpm, with 2 different long blocks. The savvy mechanic would look beyond the engine. That's just common sense. It always amazes me, 45 years in the business, and going on 5 years here on the forum, something new every day.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hmm....i get an occasional clunk slowing down going uphill to coast to a local stop sign

Nothing bonejarring

Pretty much always in the same place, maybe 0.5 - 0.7 mi from my local grocery store, speed ~25mph

Should I be worried? Or just a quirk of how it reacts when it's not up to operating temperature yet?

2012, 140k mi