Shopping for an Expedition - need help with which year

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hey guys, thanks for all your replies. We are looking for a very long term vehicle that we plan to use a ton - we are not leasing. We have 5 kids, we camp, we are buying a camper (a biggin), I do a lot of stuff around the house (will be filling this sucker up a lot) and I appreciate the finer things.. so I think I am going with a 2018 Platinum. I am going to see a 2018 Platinum with 25k miles - dealer is asking $58k for it.

I looked at Navigators for 5 hot seconds - gorgeous inside, but subjecting that kind of elegance to my 5 kids feels criminal.. and so does the payment. :anitoof:

I'd shop that price. Here's a quick search of autotrader. Scroll down a bit and there are many in the $40K range, if you don't mind traveling to get it. Sorry these are limited:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/Used+Cars/AWD+~+4WD/Ford/Expedition+Max/Ballston+Spa+NY-12020?makeCodeList=FORD&searchRadius=0&modelCodeList=FORDEXPMAX&zip=12020&marketExtension=true&listingTypes=USED,CERTIFIED&startYear=2018&endYear=2019&trimCodeList=FORDEXPMAX|Limited&driveGroup=AWD4WD&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0

Here is for Platinum:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...y=derivedpriceASC&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry but I just saw you are in Minnesota. The 18s up have Aluminum panels. Had I known I'd be moving to the rust belt, I'd have waited for an 18.

OP
OP
Z

Zack Lancaster

Reaction score
I have done some wide area searches. I have found better pricing, but they tend to have second row bench and we would prefer captains chairs. Those seem to be a little harder to locate.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I picked up a 2017 EL a year ago to tow my 7K trailer. Works great, replaced my minivan. Stickered around$58K, purchased for $32K w/ warranty from Carmax. Depreciation on these things is terrible. For that reason, I plan to upgrade in 3 - 4 years. Main attractions of the 18+ are the tilt and slide, adaptive cruise, and better fuel economy.

ib_jigged

Reaction score
We are in the same dilemma. We are on our third Expedition, had an '04, '12, and now a '16. We decided to lease the '16 rather than buy as we seem to out on just under 12,000 miles annually. The lease is up the end of this month. It is a limited with all options available and had been trouble free thus far. It is sitting at just under 32,000 miles. Not sure if we should buy it out or lease a new one. After 3 Minnesota winters there is a little rust on the chassis and none on the body. I like the idea of the aluminum body for longevity in this part of the country. We are also thinking about the new 2020 Explorer as it is a little larger than the old models, and we have also owned 2 of these in the past as well both pre 2000 models with an Edge between the '04 & '12 Expy. If we go with an Expedition, it will most likely be the limited in the 303A Stealth edition. The wife really like that and the Explorer would be an ST.